Last movie you saw...

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Saw Koyaanisqatsi last night. Didn't expect it to grab my attention as hard as it did, the soundtrack by Philip Glass really makes the film.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq_SpRBXRmE

This sequence is good on its own, but what really makes it great in the overall context of the film is how it appears after you're first shown montages of rock formations in the desert and detonations in strip mines that are shot in the same way. Same goes for the comparison of cars on the freeway to water and clouds flowing through the natural landscape. Pictures worth thousands of words. I think the film speaks for itself, but this quote from the director is worth sharing:
Godfrey Reggio said:
What I tried to show is that the main event today is not seen by those of us that live in it. We see the surface: of the newspapers, the obviousness of conflict, of social injustice, of the market, welling up of culture. But to me the greatest event or the most important event of perhaps our entire history has fundamentally gone unnoticed. And the event is the transiting from old nature or the natural environment as our host of life for human habitation into a technological milieu, into mass technology as the environment of life.

So, these films have never been about the effect of technology, of industry, on people. It's been that everyone — politics, education, the financial structure, the nation-state structure, language, culture, religion, all of that — exists within the host of technology. So, it's not the effect of — it is that everything exists within. It's not that we use technology — we live technology. Technology has become as ubiquitous as the air we breathe, so we are no longer conscious of its presence.
He also made this short series of abstract PSAs for the New Mexico Civil Liberties Union in the 70s, which are very Agora-relevant. Imagine if something like this were broadcast today:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yah54al6Cks

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Finally got around to watching Hypernormalisation by Adam Curtis. Exploring the hypernormal and it's history, that which is presented as reality "Sadam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction", vs reality "Woopsie he didn't". Insofar one can even grasp "reality". Warning us of that painted image, Adam Curtis makes his own; Jumping from disperate topics in a very engaging manner. A different reality to buy into, which you should be just as sceptic of. In the end, regardless if anything the government tells us is true or not, it's not like we at ground level can really find out. Of course he resorts to the standard trick of playing happy music over disturbing scenes (and vice versa), to illicit a response. But either way it is a very good film I heartily recommend to anyone of schizo inclination.

View: https://youtu.be/thLgkQBFTPw

(If you want proper investigative journalism I recommend this one of his from the 80s)

View: https://youtu.be/Ch5VorymiL4

ECHETLAEUS

GLOBALISTS HAVE THE POWER, BUT GOD THE FINAL WORD
Reaction score
Awards
Last movie i saw was the PEACEFUL WARRIOR(2006). A gymmastics athlete going for the win against all odds of life. Before you face the difficulties of life, you must first clean your inner self from the bondages of egoism and the lower self. The protagonist a night of fears and nightmares goes out to the nearest store to buy some snacks. He meets an old man, and they make a bond between a student and a mentor/philosopher. A young adult in his college years dreamimg of success until an accident sets its odds to his purpose. The old man named socrates teaches him the best lessons, and also its an eye opening movie. The movie is for free in youtube with greek subs.

View: https://youtu.be/tfv8tc3A06Y

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
I watched The Love Guru for the first and last time last night. I always wondered just how bad it really was. No surprise, it fucking sucked. It was basically a bunch of half-baked cut jokes from Austin Powers. I think there were two points where I said "heh," but for the rest of it, I was rolling my eyes. I wonder how much they paid each celebrity who appeared in the film

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Just finished My Dinner With Andre. Really interesting movie. I don't really know what to make of it, or what the point of it all was, but I enjoyed it. It felt like watching a recording of every interesting conversation I've ever had (both online and in real life) edited down to two hours without any concern for making it "cinematic." The characters contradict themselves and move from one topic to the next without ever reaching a definite conclusion in a way that's very realistic. It makes me want to meet up with people in real life and rant about whatever comes into my head and then listen while they do the same thing.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Finally got around to watching Hypernormalisation by Adam Curtis. Exploring the hypernormal and it's history, that which is presented as reality "Sadam Hussein has weapons of mass destruction", vs reality "Woopsie he didn't". Insofar one can even grasp "reality". Warning us of that painted image, Adam Curtis makes his own; Jumping from disperate topics in a very engaging manner. A different reality to buy into, which you should be just as sceptic of. In the end, regardless if anything the government tells us is true or not, it's not like we at ground level can really find out. Of course he resorts to the standard trick of playing happy music over disturbing scenes (and vice versa), to illicit a response. But either way it is a very good film I heartily recommend to anyone of schizo inclination.
One of my all time favorite documentaries. It was the first Adam Curtis film I had seen, and it caused me to search out for the rest of his work. I really like his style and have enjoyed most of what he's done. I think his six-part documentary series Can't Get You Out of My Head from 2021 comes as a second favorite, but Hypernormalisation has remained at the top for me.

Just finished My Dinner With Andre. Really interesting movie. I don't really know what to make of it, or what the point of it all was, but I enjoyed it. It felt like watching a recording of every interesting conversation I've ever had (both online and in real life) edited down to two hours without any concern for making it "cinematic." The characters contradict themselves and move from one topic to the next without ever reaching a definite conclusion in a way that's very realistic. It makes me want to meet up with people in real life and rant about whatever comes into my head and then listen while they do the same thing.
Crazy, I finally rewatched My Dinner With Andre around 2 months ago, my first time seeing it having been around 10 years ago when I was still in high school. Found it just as engaging as I did then, which is a real testament to the work since it hinges entirely on the conversation. Which means not only does that conversation have to be engaging enough, but also flow naturally enough to avoid feeling pretentious, which is another hole the film could have easily fell in, but thankfully doesn't. I think part of that is thanks to the script writers, Wallace and Andre playing themselves.

Personally an interesting thing about rewatching My Dinner With Andre after about ten years is that my own reception to the movie and the dialogue reflects some of my own change. When I first watched the movie I found myself identifying more with the grounded Shaun Wallace, but now I find myself identifying more with the Schizo-inclinded Andre.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Had the good fortune to see Paprika in the cinema today, and, wow. I'd been putting Paprika off for years, and retrospectively I'm glad I did because seeing it in a proper cinematic context was truly an experience. The fluid animation practically popped from the screen, not to mention those meta scenes which took place inside movie theaters hit a lot closer to home. Love this opening btw, I was in shivers when it came on:

View: https://youtu.be/uXCoXW8lr0k

I think Satoshi Kon stands as the Jungian shadow of Hayao Miyazaki. Miyazaki really is a neo-Walt Disney who takes advantage of the animation medium by putting you into fantastic worlds. Kon's works on the other hand could ostensibly be conceived as live action, but in execution he shows all the ways that you couldn't possibly achieve his vision in any other medium than in animation.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
The last movie I watched / rewatched was The End of Evangelion if it's considered a movie and not an OVA idk
Evangelion is one of the very few shows where I actually felt something. Most times when I watch shows or movies I don't feel anything really. No matter how sad or happy the feeling is I most of the time just feel neutral.
But after watching The End of Evangelion I was actually crying for the first time in years after watching a movie.
It will probably be one of my top movies of all time and I'll probably rewatch it again in a few months before watching the new Eva movies

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
Just finished 8½. I decided to watch it at random, went into the movie knowing nothing about it aside from the fact that it's well-regarded, and ended up really liking it. The cinematography, set design, and whole aesthetic of the film in general were all downright beautiful. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if it hadn't been for the visuals. The plot reminded me of Evangelion if it were written for adults (this is a compliment.)
The main character is also Literally Me. That's not a joke, just look at him:
mpv-shot0001.jpg

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Just finished 8½. I decided to watch it at random, went into the movie knowing nothing about it aside from the fact that it's well-regarded, and ended up really liking it. The cinematography, set design, and whole aesthetic of the film in general were all downright beautiful. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much if it hadn't been for the visuals. The plot reminded me of Evangelion if it were written for adults (this is a complement.)
The main character is also Literally Me. That's not a joke, just look at him:
View attachment 74024
IS THAT THE FAMOUS GAME DIRECTOR, HIDEO KOJIMA?????

Virtual Cafe Awards
I saw the latest Hayao Miyazaki film this weekend, The Boy and the Heron. The Japanese title is taken from the book it's loosely based on, 「君たちはどう生きるか」, which roughly translates to "How do you live?". But I agree with the localizers that The Boy and the Heron makes for better a title.

The film kind of confirmed everything I said about Miyazaki in my last post in this thread, but in a good way:
I think Satoshi Kon stands as the Jungian shadow of Hayao Miyazaki. Miyazaki really is a neo-Walt Disney who takes advantage of the animation medium by putting you into fantastic worlds. Kon's works on the other hand could ostensibly be conceived as live action, but in execution he shows all the ways that you couldn't possibly achieve his vision in any other medium than in animation.
I feel like it's his best film since Spirited Away. It has all the imaginativeness of films like Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle, but abandons a child-friendliness for a more mature approach. Although not particularly violent or anything, the film doesn't hand hold you as much and is thematically more mature in focus. Which is something I find really nice to see out of Miyazaki. For those curious, here's the trailer:

View: https://youtu.be/f7EDFdA10pg?si=3gQPMmMkoCWDWvzj

Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FP_iL0TZ6M

About a month ago I decided to watch another movie at random, and ended up picking Parade of the Planets (also known as Planet Parade) out of the list of films on Mosfilm's YouTube channel. I watched it, enjoyed it, and moved on, but something about it must have burrowed its way into my brain because this past week I suddenly started to think about it again non-stop. It's like I had to subconsciously digest the movie for a period of time before I could recognize that I loved it. The plot follows a group of men who are called up to participate in an army training exercise as part of their mandatory military service, only to be "killed" several days ahead of schedule. After missing the last train home they decide to embrace their new status as "spirits" and spend the remainder of their service period wandering through the countryside. It's a very abstract and dream-like film that also manages to be grounded in reality and approachable, even for a non-Soviet. There are recurring thematic references to growing older and becoming more aware of the passage of time, but instead of beating the audience over the head with them the film weaves them into a series of images and scenes that are both allegorical and aesthetically pleasing for their own sake. It's really a beautiful movie and I recommend you check it out, especially since the entire thing is legally available online for free with English subtitles.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MikeJacksons

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Just caught the latest flick, and wow, what a ride! Saw Hunger Games and couldn't get enough of the action and plot twists. Totally recommend checking it out if you're looking for a thrill! So, what's the last movie you saw? Any gems in theaters now that I shouldn't miss? Let's keep the movie recommendations flowing!

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I saw the latest Hayao Miyazaki film this weekend, The Boy and the Heron. The Japanese title is taken from the book it's loosely based on, 「君たちはどう生きるか」, which roughly translates to "How do you live?". But I agree with the localizers that The Boy and the Heron makes for better a title.

The film kind of confirmed everything I said about Miyazaki in my last post in this thread, but in a good way:

I feel like it's his best film since Spirited Away. It has all the imaginativeness of films like Castle in the Sky, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle, but abandons a child-friendliness for a more mature approach. Although not particularly violent or anything, the film doesn't hand hold you as much and is thematically more mature in focus. Which is something I find really nice to see out of Miyazaki. For those curious, here's the trailer:

View: https://youtu.be/f7EDFdA10pg?si=3gQPMmMkoCWDWvzj

I finally saw this and loved it. To me, it was the most allegorical film he's ever made - an allegory for both the westernization/modernization of Japan in the 19th and 20th centuries and for Miyazaki's career as an artist whose work draws from both Japanese and western sources and is popular world-wide. The best part was that it wasn't allegorical in a subtextual way, but in the really clear and unapologetic way things like the Divine Comedy and Gulliver's Travels are allegories. Unlike Miyazaki's other films, which all have allegorical elements, there didn't seem to be any attempt to conceal the allegory behind a more literal plot. A magic stone that's powered by electricity, that serves as a portal to a new world, that falls from the sky during the Meiji restoration? The goose-stepping birds that call their leader "Duce?" The woman in traditional Japanese dress catching fish to trade with a fleet of black ships? It was all out in the open in a really refreshing and sincere way (as long as you know at least a little bit about Japanese history.)
Miyazaki is infamous for saying each new film he makes is going to be his last one, but this one had such a "last will and testament" feel to it that I'm convinced that he doesn't intend to make any more. You can see it in the scenes with the old wizard who creates an imaginary world based on the delicate balance between east and west, nature and technology, and then lets it all go when his successor, the "sincere one," rejects taking the old man's place in favor of returning to reality and building something new from scratch. I don't get emotional over film very often, but I'm not ashamed to admit that part made me tear up. Miyazaki is at the end of his career and he knows it. This movie made me realize how much the world's going to miss him when he's gone.

398eac1cfebe3f85825a36d683070229.png

The English dub was good, none of the celebrity voice actors gave standout performances but it didn't detract from the film at all. The animation was great, the music was great. It's a beautiful movie, go see it in theaters while you still can.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I finally saw this and loved it. To me, it was the most allegorical film he's ever made - an allegory for both the westernization/modernization of Japan in the 19th and 20th centuries and for Miyazaki's career as an artist whose work draws from both Japanese and western sources and is popular world-wide. The best part was that it wasn't allegorical in a subtextual way, but in the really clear and unapologetic way things like the Divine Comedy and Gulliver's Travels are allegories. Unlike Miyazaki's other films, which all have allegorical elements, there didn't seem to be any attempt to conceal the allegory behind a more literal plot. A magic stone that's powered by electricity, that serves as a portal to a new world, that falls from the sky during the Meiji restoration? The goose-stepping birds that call their leader "Duce?" The woman in traditional Japanese dress catching fish to trade with a fleet of black ships? It was all out in the open in a really refreshing and sincere way (as long as you know at least a little bit about Japanese history.)
Miyazaki is infamous for saying each new film he makes is going to be his last one, but this one had such a "last will and testament" feel to it that I'm convinced that he doesn't intend to make any more. You can see it in the scenes with the old wizard who creates an imaginary world based on the delicate balance between east and west, nature and technology, and then lets it all go when his successor, the "sincere one," rejects taking the old man's place in favor of returning to reality and building something new from scratch. I don't get emotional over film very often, but I'm not ashamed to admit that part made me tear up. Miyazaki is at the end of his career and he knows it. This movie made me realize how much the world's going to miss him when he's gone.

View attachment 84636

The English dub was good, none of the celebrity voice actors gave standout performances but it didn't detract from the film at all. The animation was great, the music was great. It's a beautiful movie, go see it in theaters while you still can.

Totally agree that this film really feels like the final masterpiece of a master. Also glad to hear that I'm not the only one who got that vibe.

I had this funny/irritating experience at the theater I saw this. After the credits finished rolling and everybody started leaving, these other foreigners a bit behind me started talking about the film as people do, "Not one of his best, if I were being honest." Never have I been more tempted to call a stranger a retard to their face... don't worry, I restrained myself. Literally felt like this scene from Annie Hall:

View: https://youtu.be/sXJ8tKRlW3E?si=3X7eB3C25BT3GrQd

Virtual Cafe Awards

isolation suite

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
last movie i watched was maniac 1980 it wasnt my first time watching it though, it's vaguely set around christmas as well so ig that makes it another alternative christmas movie instead of half the shite that hollywood has pumped out. joe spinell is a fantastic slasher villain but it's a shame he only did a few movies although apparently after maniac was filmed he found it impossible to find work again as an actor

it's also got one of the sickest head explosions too

View: https://youtu.be/btGEvamuaA4?si=pMqaEcjWS3waPyCg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Saw the newest Matrix movie and don't really care for it as I feel that it insists upon itself.

Meaning that the movie is so obsessed with being a Matrix movie and doing all the callbacks to stuff, and that it wants to so badly tell you its a Matrix movie that the plot itself is muddled and confusing and feels like it was rushed.

I think if they spent some more time and really thought it through, it wouldn't of panned out so badly as it did. Maybe that was the goal all along. Give it a big sendoff in the worst way possible so they can move on from the franchise. I know it certainly feels dead at this point.

Biggest red flag was how the original agent smith did not return to make the movie because of scripting issues. That should've been a warning to stop and reconsider the entire script.

Virtual Cafe Awards