Memory Hole - Everything not saved will be lost

sleepwalker

Rogue 0f Blo0d
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
nhkhq.neocities.org
Remember the hole in the ozone layer? Today I was trying to figure out why I knew what a "chlorofluorocarbon" was and suddenly memories of hearing people talk about it as a kid came flooding back. Apparently (according to Wikipedia) regulations passed since the 90s have helped reverse ozone depletion, but it does seem kind of strange for everyone to forget about a supposed crisis in only a decade. Same goes for acid rain.
Well there was an international effort to fix the hole in the ozone layer, Australia at the very least is thankful about it.

Acid rain as far as I know, just ended up not being as big of a concern as people expected.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I remember being in a science class learning about Acid Rain and seeing photographs of large swathes of forest striped bare of leaves. I think as kids we genuinely thought we'd have our skin and clothes burned by acid rain.

While it didn't quite come to fruition in that sense, ocean acidification and the destruction of calcified shells appears to be the next big concern.

Virtual Cafe Awards

alCannium27

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Well there was an international effort to fix the hole in the ozone layer, Australia at the very least is thankful about it.

Acid rain as far as I know, just ended up not being as big of a concern as people expected.
the funny thing about the hole in the ozone is that, i was suddenly reminded of it a couple months ago because so dude on my car radio said it's proof we can fix shit, so i looked it up

Behold!

Screenshot_20230818_124403_Samsung Internet.jpg

like, TF is this? did we fix it or not?

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
the funny thing about the hole in the ozone is that, i was suddenly reminded of it a couple months ago because so dude on my car radio said it's proof we can fix shit, so i looked it up

Behold!

like, TF is this? did we fix it or not?

Imagine the earth is a child. The hole in the ozone layer is a scraped knee. The hole was caused by CFCs (a refrigerant chemical). In our analogy, the CFCs are a belt sander being applied to the scraped knee, consistently, over a period of 82 years (1928 was their first synthesis, 1989-2010 they were phased out).

The ozone layer is "fixed" in that we've stopped belt-sanding the child's knee and it can now start scabbing over. Forecasts suggest the ozone will be back to pre-hole 1980s quality by 2040 and the child can start walking again while we start working out how to stop pumping her bedroom with CO2 and methane while she sleeps.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
I remember being in a science class learning about Acid Rain and seeing photographs of large swathes of forest striped bare of leaves. I think as kids we genuinely thought we'd have our skin and clothes burned by acid rain.

While it didn't quite come to fruition in that sense, ocean acidification and the destruction of calcified shells appears to be the next big concern.
I found out why we don't hear about acid rain any more. There were political actions in the 70s to filter sulphur and other acid-causing materials from coal factories. The main concerns were foliage stripping, lake and river acidification, and the fact that the polution could travel massive distances. In southern Norway they saw a significant drop in salmon and this made the Nords really fucking pissed. Canada, being mostly lakes, were a little annoyed that their water acidity had risen 30%, making it inhospitable for life.

Eventually the US signed some bills that reduced sulphur and nitrogen emissions and removed acid rain from our list of concerns... for now... in developed countries... kind of.

Source with sources:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ZZSYsHkEw

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
I found out why we don't hear about acid rain any more. There were political actions in the 70s to filter sulphur and other acid-causing materials from coal factories. The main concerns were foliage stripping, lake and river acidification, and the fact that the polution could travel massive distances. In southern Norway they saw a significant drop in salmon and this made the Nords really fucking pissed. Canada, being mostly lakes, were a little annoyed that their water acidity had risen 30%, making it inhospitable for life.

Eventually the US signed some bills that reduced sulphur and nitrogen emissions and removed acid rain from our list of concerns... for now... in developed countries... kind of.

Source with sources:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0ZZSYsHkEw

So the main takeaway here is that people will only be willing to fix climate change if it piss off a powerful entity (i.e a country)? Makes sense.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
So the main takeaway here is that people will only be willing to fix climate change if it piss off a powerful entity (i.e a country)? Makes sense.
Kind of. Real effects need to be seen to evoke action. I have a feeling all the landslides, floods, hurricanes, wildfires, drought and resulting starvation might have an effect on future climate policy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

sleepwalker

Rogue 0f Blo0d
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
nhkhq.neocities.org
yeah basically.
The timescales that climate change operates on makes it very difficult to link any individual consequence to the general cause. It's easy to show lakes getting more acidic, holes in the ozone layer, and trash in the sea so those are easier to pass. Melting ice is the best climate change gets, and someone not familiar with the conservation of matter might not see the big deal in melting glaciers. Some people seem to doubt the influence mankind has on the planet now, and still seems stuck in the mindset that humanity cannot influence nature unless they experience it in the real world.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
yeah basically.
The timescales that climate change operates on makes it very difficult to link any individual consequence to the general cause. It's easy to show lakes getting more acidic, holes in the ozone layer, and trash in the sea so those are easier to pass. Melting ice is the best climate change gets, and someone not familiar with the conservation of matter might not see the big deal in melting glaciers. Some people seem to doubt the influence mankind has on the planet now, and still seems stuck in the mindset that humanity cannot influence nature unless they experience it in the real world.
Pretty sure a lot of people experiencing the heatwaves are getting first hand experience of climate change.

Virtual Cafe Awards

sleepwalker

Rogue 0f Blo0d
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
nhkhq.neocities.org
Pretty sure a lot of people experiencing the heatwaves are getting first hand experience of climate change.
And some of those people still do not believe because admitting that you were advocating against solving the problem is unpleasant. Many do change their minds about it which is why I said "unless they experience it in the real world". But it's very easy for someone uninterested to say they haven't personally noticed a change in weather, and that they saw worse when they were younger.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
And some of those people still do not believe because admitting that you were advocating against solving the problem is unpleasant. Many do change their minds about it which is why I said "unless they experience it in the real world". But it's very easy for someone uninterested to say they haven't personally noticed a change in weather, and that they saw worse when they were younger.
Seems like they got...

retromogen342

...Memory Holed

Virtual Cafe Awards
reminds me of "sun changed color" thread

Virtual Cafe Awards

pronoundisrespecter

Raw Honey Defender
Reaction score
Awards
I always hated the rhotoric of "we need to think of the immunocompromised!" during covid. My sister went through chemo in 2019 meaning she had zero white blood cells. Yeah covid would've caused her to be hospitalized but so would a common fucking cold. I was there when that exact thing happened. Point is, our family took precautions that we did not expect the community we were a part of to take. To do so would have been ludicrous. And to ruin people's lives and businesses all for the sake of unknown people who know their condition and should take the precautions themselves left an extremely bad taste in my stomach.
One thing that really bugged me back then was how often you'd hear people constantly doing the whole "you don't care about disabled people" thing to those who didn't want to wear a mask or get the injectables. Completely forgetting/being ignorant in the fact that a ton of autistic people were having difficulty wearing the masks (myself included) due to sensory processing issues. I don't think most people who were peddling the craziness actually cared about people who were sick/disabled/whatever, they were just using us as a tool to get people feeling guilty. Pissed me off to no end, plus since my sensory issues are invisible, a ton of people downplayed it when I explained how I was struggling, only to recently pretend like they were always against how intense the restrictions were or always supportive of me...like no man, I don't forget. It was such a stupid time, I just wish I had of had more of a backbone then to stand my ground. I usually just bent to pressure by shutting up and avoiding situations where I would be confronted about wearing a mask because I felt like no one cared that I had legitimate reason not to wear them. Can't count the amount of times I was trying to grocery shop and just walked out after 2 minutes of being in there because I couldn't handle the sensation of the fabric right up against my face but also couldn't handle the interrogation and harassment from strangers or clerks if I took it off.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
The hole was caused by CFCs (a refrigerant chemical). In our analogy, the CFCs are a belt sander being applied to the scraped knee, consistently, over a period of 82 years (1928 was their first synthesis, 1989-2010 they were phased out).

The ozone layer is "fixed" in that we've stopped belt-sanding the child's knee and it can now start scabbing over. Forecasts suggest the ozone will be back to pre-hole 1980s quality by 2040 and the child can start walking again while we start working out how to stop pumping her bedroom with CO2 and methane while she sleeps.
I remember reading that the things we replaced CFCs with, HCFCs and HFCs are potent greenhouse gases.
1695563641762.png

So we fixed one problem but exacerbated the other problem? I hope someone with more knowledge can clarify what's happening.
1695563678200.png

1695563724070.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

kona

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I remember reading that the things we replaced CFCs with, HCFCs and HFCs are potent greenhouse gases.
View attachment 75693

So we fixed one problem but exacerbated the other problem? I hope someone with more knowledge can clarify what's happening.
View attachment 75694
View attachment 75695
I did a report on CFCs before they were officially done, and even though I believed it at the time, some of the science/data didn't make sense to me. Later I learned the real reason to ban the CFCs was simply because the Dupont patent was running out. It was never about helping the environment. Idk if hcfcs are worse or not, haven't looked into it. https://archive.ph/zFF78 you can search for more info if you want but here's a start.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I did a report on CFCs before they were officially done, and even though I believed it at the time, some of the science/data didn't make sense to me. Later I learned the real reason to ban the CFCs was simply because the Dupont patent was running out. It was never about helping the environment. Idk if hcfcs are worse or not, haven't looked into it. https://archive.ph/zFF78 you can search for more info if you want but here's a start.
fuck dupont and their grandfathered forever chemicals

Virtual Cafe Awards