no_chill

Philosopher King
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
(Noun) Community.

Trans Community, UFO Community, Crypto Community, Cuckold Community, Avatar Community etc.

People appending the word Community to literally every fucking thing and mostly, deeply undeserving of that title.
Is the word Community really that weightless in english? Because it is quite a weighty and valuable word in every other language. It's even above Camaraderie, its similar to Brotherhood.

And retards say "We in the Faggot Community don't approve of that". As if this would hold any weight. As if this was worth something.

People apply the word Community to every retarded hobby or delusion they have, while not knowing what Community actually means. A tight and deeply intertwined group of people. That isn't bond by something superficial and lunatic like believing they need to fuck the same gender or that get turned on by pretending to be the other gender, but rather by Soil, work, commitment and aimed at a common goal. The Amish are a Community. People that got together and Live off grid on Pacific Islands are a Community, an autark village in the mountains is a Community etc.

Virtual Cafe Awards

A L I X

Cosmic Girl
Reaction score
Awards
Website
alixx.ichi.city
"trust the science"
"hekkin"
"kiddo"
"doggo"/"puppers"
"(individual) woke up today and chose violence"
"irregardless"
"smol bean"
"no cap"
"this is a danger to our democracy"
"2SLGBTQIA+"
"vibe check"
"I stand with (demographic/nationality" anytime there's a war/conflict/social outrage on mainstream media
"sus"
"simping"
"I just did a thing"
"G.O.A.T."
"this/that is sending me"
"that ain't it chief"
"living rent free in (individuals) head"
"Ok boomer" as a response to a statement
"it's the ___ for me"
"(so and so) understood the assignment"
"spilling the tea"
Isn't that just 60% of zoomer slang

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
(Noun) Community.

Trans Community, UFO Community, Crypto Community, Cuckold Community, Avatar Community etc.

People appending the word Community to literally every fucking thing and mostly, deeply undeserving of that title.
Is the word Community really that weightless in english? Because it is quite a weighty and valuable word in every other language. It's even above Camaraderie, its similar to Brotherhood.

And retards say "We in the Faggot Community don't approve of that". As if this would hold any weight. As if this was worth something.

People apply the word Community to every retarded hobby or delusion they have, while not knowing what Community actually means. A tight and deeply intertwined group of people. That isn't bond by something superficial and lunatic like believing they need to fuck the same gender or that get turned on by pretending to be the other gender, but rather by Soil, work, commitment and aimed at a common goal. The Amish are a Community. People that got together and Live off grid on Pacific Islands are a Community, an autark village in the mountains is a Community etc.

We in the Agora community don't approve of this language.

microbyte

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
microbyte.neocities.org
"My brother in Christ" back then because far too many people were starting their sentences with it online
Mon frère en Christ I agree

I personally get pissed off when people say stuff like "[Version of cool]! I could never do [Thing I do] (possibly some weird excuse goes here)". At least to me it feels as if the person is treating some skill or thing as if it was something I was born with and not something that took work to do. It's basically just people trying to make it seem like they don't gotta try cause everyone who does difficult stuff was just born ale to do it.

stonehead

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
argusarts.com
To think this all happened because of self censoring on social media for monetization and dumbshit zoomers not knowing and just adding it to their vernacular.

As for me I can't stand anything regarding "democracy", this word is so worn out it doesn't mean anything anymore. "This is extremely dangerous to our democracy", "protecting democracy" just shut up.
If it's mandated by communication platforms does it even count as self-censorship anymore? Maybe they could still say "kill", and just wouldn't earn any money from it, but even then, I'm pretty sure the platforms block it from being recommended in people's feeds. When we're at the level of "You can say this word, but no one will be able to hear it" it moves on to just regular censorship. Not censorship in the sense of suppressing ideas necessarily, but definitely censorship in the sense of putting that black bar over gore and nudity.

This next bit is kind of just speculation, but I think zoomers saying "unalive" IRL, and on less restrictive platforms is just because they've habituated it. It's like when people used to say swag, and pog "ironically". Eventually they just made a habit of saying it, and it stopped being ironic.

This is still on topic, because that sort of "no, I'm only saying it ironically" pisses me off.

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
This next bit is kind of just speculation, but I think zoomers saying "unalive" IRL, and on less restrictive platforms is just because they've habituated it. It's like when people used to say swag, and pog "ironically". Eventually they just made a habit of saying it, and it stopped being ironic.
Funny you mention irony because that's exactly how it started, as an ironic retort to youtubes draconian monetization guidelines. Most don't even know that terms like "unalive" and "game end" originally come from for children channels posting fortnite content. Just how channels started using it ironically and stuck with it so did their audience. As for it being used IRL by zoomers it will happen if it hasn't already.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Really, I'm not much online, and IRL only one word gets me.

Cringe

I hate it. I do not quite understand what it is supposed to mean, especially because I feel that all the zoomies who use it in our language do not quite understand what it means in OG language, and therefore when they use it they mean to convey something that toally flies over my head. Ugh. It is the worst case of loanwording I've ever heard. And with time I've came to hate this word in english language as well.

Virtual Cafe Awards

赤い男

번호9
Reaction score
Awards
"what do you wanna be when you grow up?"

i dont fucking know, why is it that we're asked about this at such a young age? let me get shit settled first before i find out what i want to do with my life.
huh in my case is the opposite, i always knew what i wanted in my life, is as simple as getting out of this hellhole and just chillax, i'm a simple person. :tou4:

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
Really, I'm not much online, and IRL only one word gets me.

Cringe

I hate it. I do not quite understand what it is supposed to mean, especially because I feel that all the zoomies who use it in our language do not quite understand what it means in OG language, and therefore when they use it they mean to convey something that toally flies over my head. Ugh. It is the worst case of loanwording I've ever heard. And with time I've came to hate this word in english language as well.
Yeah, I guess it really makes your face cringe when you see them do that.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
This one is a bit specific and not a 'phrase' per se, but it does piss me off! It's that thing where somebody is talking about bad thing in 'new generation' and compares to their own generation (one above them) and how they were better in like the most minute way. I know it's really specific but I hear this too much lately and it pisses me off! Especially with awful video 'essayists'
I hope this made-up example illustrates it.
Zoomer "[talking about Gen Alpha] ... but I mean, at least when we were kids, yeah we might have watched a bit of television, but at least TV shows had storylines and plotlines and continuity, and we had to like wait for the show we like to be on the channel, but now Gen Alpha doesn't even have that, they just watch Skibidi Toilet"
Why do they do this? It's still bad for kids to be watching TV all the time. They are no better in any meaningful way!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deerhunter

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
This one is a bit specific and not a 'phrase' per se, but it does piss me off! It's that thing where somebody is talking about bad thing in 'new generation' and compares to their own generation (one above them) and how they were better in like the most minute way. I know it's really specific but I hear this too much lately and it pisses me off! Especially with awful video 'essayists'
Zoomer "[talking about Gen Alpha] ... but I mean, at least when we were kids, yeah we might have watched a bit of television, but at least TV shows had storylines and plotlines and continuity, and we had to like wait for the show we like to be on the channel, but now Gen Alpha doesn't even have that, they just watch Skibidi Toilet"
Why do they do this? It's still bad for kids to be watching TV all the time. They are no better in any meaningful way!
people are already speaking like that now? what the actual fuck. YeAh lets shit on kids who have unlimited internet access and ignore that their first exposure of entertainment was them having Ipads since they were three. so ingenious that it makes the boomers jealous.

Virtual Cafe Awards

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards
1703744917547.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like the thread has already covered anything I could think of to say, but there are a couple interesting categories represented.

First you have young/generational slang, 'moar, yolo, swag, lit, fam, bussin, no cap, chad, soyjak,' etc. that would seemingly demonstrate an adoption of popular language without any greater thought, depth, or precision behind it. "Why do you talk that way?" "I don't know, someone said it and it sounded funny."

Very similar to the above you have the infamous '>redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk lingo,' which is very similar to the above, but with the differences that it is more (internet) location based than generational, 'doggo, le, pupper, friendo, updoot, kind stranger, etc.' which, could be said to have a strange quality of 'babyspeak' to it, which seems to be enforced through the 'enticements' of its karma system? I'm not a >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk guy, so I can't say too much on this, but really this could be a terribly interesting topic if explored.

You also have speech related to political groups, principally leftism, 'inclusivity, diversity, community, community guidelines, racism, sexism, transphobia,' etc. which are frequently used as either subtle warnings or outright (verbal) weapons for the enforcement of a very particular point of view, which I assume is one of the reasons people are so against these, even when they might in theory agree with the supposed principles underlying some of them.

There are verbal tics, 'literally, like, genuinely, um,' etc. that are related to awkward speaking patterns and social influence, but do not seem to be much more than sentence fillers to keep noise in the conversation rather than thoughtful, though perhaps awkward, silence.

There are various highly conceited-sounding phrases used to directly put someone down while puffing up one's own chest, 'Think again sweety,' 'Do you really,' 'I feel sorry for you,' etc. Honestly these feel more like things that women are inclined to say than men, probably everyone's just tired of posturing jackasses who think they're cooler/smarter/hotter/better than everyone else.

Anyways thought it was interesting how some of these phrases could be categorized.
These groups can be summed up as...

'Young people talk like retards'

'Babyspeak is annoying as hell.'

'Everyone is tired of being called hateful by leftists.'

'Verbal tics are annoying if pronounced enought.'

'Don't act like a bitch.'

Virtual Cafe Awards

Polonius

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
What really annoys me the most with slang/phrases is when people start taking up a bunch of language from the internet and movies. Significantly because the new language is like an invasive species, it drives out naturally-occuring 'local language' (be that for a geographic/civic region, community, or even one's own family) and is strengthened by repeated exposure through internet and pop culture.

What is valuable is the unique (though one may certainly hope grammatically legible) language and wordset that develops within a group of people who are close with one another and share common tastes and concerns, not what the 'majority' of people are doing. Why do you insist on talking like people from far away who will you will never meet, to whom you have no connection?

Urgh, there's so much more that could be dug into, but I already made too big a post above this one already, incomplete as it is.

Virtual Cafe Awards