"doggo"/"puppers"
"(individual) woke up today and chose violence"
"irregardless"
"smol bean"
"no cap"
"this is a danger to our democracy"
"2SLGBTQIA+"
"vibe check"
"I stand with (demographic/nationality" anytime there's a war/conflict/social outrage on mainstream media
"sus"
"simping"
"I just did a thing"
"G.O.A.T."
"this/that is sending me"
"that ain't it chief"
"living rent free in (individuals) head"
"Ok boomer" as a response to a statement
"it's the ___ for me"
"(so and so) understood the assignment"
"spilling the tea"

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Wont lie, I feel like a fair part of this thread is just the usual circlejerking and petty complaints that we're trying to avoid here, feeding into in rather than avoiding it.

...There's a whole little subchapter in Stephen King's book on writing about all of the phrases he hates. Me, I've grown accustomed enough to English to realize I get pissed off at basically every coined term and set phrase in the language. I hate my own writing, and I cringe at it.
But "cringe" too, I think is also an expression of this same sort of collective dead-end that prevents proper communication in the language. To describe any part of the depths of human experience as "cringe" is a linguistic form of self-suicide. There is no cringe. It's not in the Bible nor is it an evolutionary necessity. It's language expressing the senseless. Like I read this too,

and it's usage here "pisses me off".
(dont take this the wrong way, it's not you it's me, but)
the way you begin the sentence with "Oh man," here "pisses me off";
and the way you follow "cringe" with "self-cringe", and the very act of comparing them with "like" here "pisses me off";
and the way you say "really used to like these" here "pisses me off";
and the way you say "really used to like these" here "pisses me off";
and the way you say "really used to like these" here "pisses me off".
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not pissed off at you (really, please, try not to take this post too seriously lol) but I'm pissed off at the limit to which things tend to be expressed. Is that not what everyone else ITT is doing as well?

...And even the verbal use of "to piss off" is I think a poor usage of words, and I realize that it describes something that doesn't exist. My emotions are conforming to the set phrase "piss off", rather than using a combination of words to express the unique and fleeting response that I should be feeling in reaction to this if I were not constrained by linguistic entropy.
Honestly I could complain about this with enough posts to exhaust the entirety of the Library of Babel, but I realize how hypocritical that is.

Basically, that's my crankpost for today, and what I'm trying to get at here is that everyone should learn French or stop posting online
The way CureDolly-sensei teaches Japanese broke my ability to enjoy English communication
cringe post bruv.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Aeria Gloris

Virtual Runner
Reaction score
Awards
When english speakers use "like" between every word of their sentences. It may be pardoned if it is not your first language but otherwise you should grab a book and learn how to speak like a properly educated individual.

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
When english speakers use "like" between every word of their sentences. It may be pardoned if it is not your first language but otherwise you should grab a book and learn how to speak like a properly educated individual.
On the contrary, only those who are deeply entrenched in 90s culture appreciate the sophistication of saying "like" every other word, largely thanks to this iconic TV show / movie:

clueless.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

№56

Self-Hating Bureaucrat
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
no56.neocities.org
I can't stand the self-censoring everyone younger than 20 does now when writing about anything potentially offensive online. "R*pe," "g@y," "seggs," "unalive," etc. It's one thing to talk like that when you're on a platform that will ban you for saying the real version of any of those words, but people will continue to type that way even when there's no danger of being censored. It's practically part of the zoomer dialect now. If there were a way to pronounce asterisks and dollar signs orally they would do it in real life too.

Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
I can't stand the self-censoring everyone younger than 20 does now when writing about anything potentially offensive online. "R*pe," "g@y," "seggs," "unalive," etc. It's one thing to talk like that when you're on a platform that will ban you for saying the real version of any of those words, but people will continue to type that way even when there's no danger of being censored. It's practically part of the zoomer dialect now. If there were a way to pronounce asterisks and dollar signs orally they would do it in real life too.
This comment is very tr*gerring. Thnks for censoring those words tho

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I actually don't mind 'unalive' so much, but only because 'suicide' is latin. The native terms 'kill myself' or even 'selfquell' are much preferred, of course.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Unalive is the stupidest thing I've heard. The mafia spent ages coming up with creative ways to say "killed" and you zoomers all just ignore it.These kids need to go watch the Monty Python parrot sketch and get some fucking creativity while they're at it. It makes me want to put on a pair of cement shoes and go sleep with the fishies.

Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
To think this all happened because of self censoring on social media for monetization and dumbshit zoomers not knowing and just adding it to their vernacular.

As for me I can't stand anything regarding "democracy", this word is so worn out it doesn't mean anything anymore. "This is extremely dangerous to our democracy", "protecting democracy" just shut up.

Virtual Cafe Awards

eve

Professional Loser
Reaction score
Awards
Website
evvv.org
I've also been trying to rid the words "literally, like, actually, genuinely" from my vocabulary.
hearing someone say "literally" for everything makes me embarrassed for them. It's literally overused like literally all the time.
im guilty of this but i will NOT be stopping whatsoever
in fact, ur hatred only FUELS ME MOAR >:3
can't stand the self-censoring everyone younger than 20 does now when writing about anything potentially offensive online. "R*pe," "g@y," "seggs," "unalive," etc. It's one thing to talk like that when you're on a platform that will ban you for saying the real version of any of those words, but people will continue to type that way even when there's no danger of being censored. It's practically part of the zoomer dialect now. If there were a way to pronounce asterisks and dollar signs orally they would do it in real life too.
i genuinely think its engraved in ppls subconscious at this point lel like thats just the new normal for most ppl

no words piss me off, but if sum1 uses certain sayings or phrases that r annoying i will deffo judge them -w-

Virtual Cafe Awards

InsufferableCynic

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Literally newspeak