What are some websites you frequented in childhood?

james32123

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
palindromic.neocities.org
I wanna hear the kinds of sites that everyone used to go to in the mythical land known as the "past."

I know that I used to go to a bunch of sites that a (much) younger me would be interested in, but I've forgotten the names of all of them T-T

Virtual Cafe Awards
i am gen 1999, and from nowhere, so it is what it is

(mostly virtual worlds)

• jupik planet/world - maintained by juice company of the same name
  • jojo planet(a) - same, but candies
  • pandanda
  • club penguin (rip)
  • acapella.tv - you could write stuff, pick language, and "postcard" to read it in funny voice (defunct)
  • woozworld - still goes on, but its culture is weird now
  • sister showed me little tree friends
  • newgrounds, friv, ... flash games (like grow nano 1, 2, 3, red ball, spiderman, mirrors edge, swords&sandals, *shakes and fidget, toilet time machine panda...)
  • girly games (girly guy type), gore operations flash games (proto/pre-elsagate), but not dressup
  • cat pics, memes
  • do you remember movie-maker youtube lyrics, misheard lyrics, neon color background lyrics, weird videos - yt cca pre-2008?
  • iirc sumopaint, when it was free

Virtual Cafe Awards

lovelace

Reach heaven through violence
Reaction score
Awards
I didn't know how to use a search engine so I went to websites I had memorized:

lego.com
IGN.com
gamespot.com
miniclip.com
netflix.com

I recall just randomly tying in URLs if things I was interested in like "bionicle.com" and hoping it directed me somewhere.

Oh yeah, I also spent a shit ton of time on Webkinz because a friend got me one for my birthday.

Virtual Cafe Awards

james32123

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
@lovelace Can totally relate to randomly typing in URLs, that was always a sidequest when we had access to a pc in elementary school. I think some of my most visited sites were those related to cartoons I watched. Would also look up flash games for things that interested me , like monster trucks and tanks!! lego.com is a throwback cause there were some old games I used to play there that I think sadly no longer exist o7

Virtual Cafe Awards

. . . ...

Dārio Valyrio Valyriat
Reaction score
Awards
I wanna hear the kinds of sites that everyone used to go to in the mythical land known as the "past."

I know that I used to go to a bunch of sites that a (much) younger me would be interested in, but I've forgotten the names of all of them T-T
Movie star planet. I used to play this a lot at my local library. Also the usual game sites like friv.com, itch.io, happywheels, ricochet kills etc. I didn't really start going on forums until much more recently in life. I only visited briefly 4chan 2 years ago, but I don't really browse it much. I used to use >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk alot and read the debate subreddits and dankmemes, but it soon got boring so I deleted my account. I don't really browse >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk much, except to find information. I watch alot of youtube and still do today.

. . . ...

Dārio Valyrio Valyriat
Reaction score
Awards
i am gen 1999, and from nowhere, so it is what it is

(mostly virtual worlds)

• jupik planet/world - maintained by juice company of the same name
  • jojo planet(a) - same, but candies
  • pandanda
  • club penguin (rip)
  • acapella.tv - you could write stuff, pick language, and "postcard" to read it in funny voice (defunct)
  • woozworld - still goes on, but its culture is weird now
  • sister showed me little tree friends
  • newgrounds, friv, ... flash games (like grow nano 1, 2, 3, red ball, spiderman, mirrors edge, swords&sandals, *shakes and fidget, toilet time machine panda...)
  • girly games (girly guy type), gore operations flash games (proto/pre-elsagate), but not dressup
  • cat pics, memes
  • do you remember movie-maker youtube lyrics, misheard lyrics, neon color background lyrics, weird videos - yt cca pre-2008?
  • iirc sumopaint, when it was free
Did you ever play moshi monster? I used to play that as well as club peguin

james32123

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Website
Movie star planet. I used to play this a lot at my local library. Also the usual game sites like friv.com, itch.io, happywheels, ricochet kills etc. I didn't really start going on forums until much more recently in life. I only visited briefly 4chan 2 years ago, but I don't really browse it much. I used to use >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk alot and read the debate subreddits and dankmemes, but it soon got boring so I deleted my account. I don't really browse >redditcostanzayeahrightsmirk much, except to find information. I watch alot of youtube and still do today.
friv was the SHIT, that thing kept me from doing so many assignments through elementary and middle school. Think at one point they allowed you to make an account for the site, unless I'm thinking of a different place. Anyways, I ate that shit up lol

Virtual Cafe Awards
Whatttt, you never heard of moshi monsters ???
View attachment 91857
no. the name rings a bell, was around, but only because i watched some american internet nostalgia video on oldweb or so, very fuzzily heard it before, idk if original memory or second-hand memory
never seen them, just heard about that name?

(context: idk if they are american thing, *(for me , centroeast-european, - or i just wasnt "their" audience...)

Virtual Cafe Awards

[Tr4sh_Kun]

(Kinda) Social Isolationist
Reaction score
Awards
I grew up in the mid to late 2000s when the internet was starting to get centralized, I didn't went to many websites other than flash games websites that stole Newgrounds games, Club Penguin and Neopets.

Around that age I was really into anime style MMORPGs so I played as many as I could find, the ones I remember the most were Ragnarok Online and Elsword, I think the rest of them ended up shutting down lol (I also have memories of a 3D anime style MMORPG that let you own your own ship and sail into the ocean)

I also spent a lot of time on early youtube, around that time on latino youtube text to speech videos about stuff like videogames curiosities, easter eggs, secrets, creepypastas and such were the most popular around that age, as well as "criticisms" towards whatever the channel owner found annoying or cringe and they were usually just rants full of curse words and slurs

Virtual Cafe Awards

RETROCOMP93

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
When I started using the internet in 2002, I used to go on the Cartoon Network website alot as well as checking out websites about trains.

Later on during middle school, I stumbled upon flash game sites like Mr. Fun games, FreeOnlineGames.com, and several others.

Last edited:

Regal

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
MySpace. We weren't allowed to have but my dad was never home so we did it any way. When we added one of our dads old fling our dad was not happy. We learned about our dad's secret son years before he claimed him as a son. Awww the good old days.

Is there more to this crazy story?

Anyway the only sites I remember from my childhood (90's/00's) is Fox Kids where I played a Digimon flash game. Lol. Other than that I mostly frequented Proboards RP forums...

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
There was this Habro(?) Star Wars Episode III flashgame website that we'd fight for PC access for in elementary school, running 1v1's in some Mustafar duel game. That and Cartoon Network, the Billy and Mandy castle defender game at the North Pole was a ton of fun.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mesaprotector

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I was pretty into Neopets as a kid. Also used to play games on Nickelodeon and Garfield.com - I loved Garfield, even baked him a "birthday cake" when I was 9. I remember a few others that were less mainstream, there was this neat astronomy website with some interactive applets.

When slightly older I got involved in the community for a flash game series called Submachine, which was the first place I ever made online friends, though I lost touch with everybody from there (at 14 I was still affected by the propaganda that everyone on the internet is a predator :elonE:).

PraxHeadroom

Cyber Gnostic
Reaction score
Awards
all-top-games.net for whatever reason was one of the first flash game websites I remember. Not sure how I found it since all it did was repost flash games from other sites.
Maxgames and Armorgames were probably my favorite though.
I discovered Omegle at a far too early age and I'm sure it did profound psychological damage to me.
Various game forums that are now dead (RIP Gang Garrison 2).
YTMND
Youtube (obviously)

Virtual Cafe Awards

幽邃森林

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Here's a list of websites that I visited with some various thoughts:

-Runescape: Actually I'm happy that it had a resurgence in recent years.

-PuzzlePirates: Very interesting concept of an MMO that is sadly a ghost town.

-AdventureQuest/DragonFable: I think this company is still active with a successor MMO.

-Ebaumsworld, FunnyJunk: Yeah, I know.

-NewGrounds: I am also happy on this site's resurgence. I also frequented albinoblacksheep and kongregate.

-Miniclip: Got bought out by Tencent, the king of shitty to cash grab ripoff Chinese mobile games.

-DanBal: This Japanese person made a simple dust game that was all the rage for middle school kids stuck in study hall.

And of course you have the multiple hodgepodge of flash game and flash movie sites that usually consisted of stick figures or your favorite 16 bit sprite Nintendo character enacting in excessive violence.