What are some websites you frequented in childhood?

Doctor Dirck

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
-PuzzlePirates: Very interesting concept of an MMO that is sadly a ghost town.
Kadeem Alford a medium sized League of Legends streamer still plays this game. I watch his other stuff besides league because I think he's funny but it's so weird you mention that website and I just saw it for the first time the other day through him.

cheatcodes.com
Cc_screenshot_784.jpg

I used this site a long time ago and I remember super liking it. I even printed out some cheat codes from time to time. This website was cool because what they called 'cheats' weren't the literal definition of cheats but oftentimes cool bugs, strategies or cool things about the game you wouldn't otherwise know (maybe trivia?) An example is for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic the underwear your character wears when their armor is removed is different depending on the Jedi robes you wore before they were removed. So dumb but you get like 50 of those little tidbits about a game and it just made it awesome.

cheatcc.com
7059522.jpg

I used cheatcc a lot and this was where you went if you wanted a reliable more complete list of cheat codes. Unfortunately xbox 360 and ps3's achievements and trophies kind of ruined the site for me because it was just lists and lists of achievements and how to get them.

ask.com
ask-jeeves-2000.png

I never used this website but my Grandma did and even back in the day I thought it was corny and weird. It was funny years and years later to see her still use it and to still format her searches like a question. "Jeeves, what movies are showing tonight?" I suppose jokes on me though because now that the technology is here to give you a good answer that's basically what Alexa is.

The Old Barbie Website (no clue what the URL would have been then)
anyone-remembers-the-old-barbie-website-v0-xv95ehpj6epa1.jpg

I never played this, but when my sister and I would have computer time we got it so sparingly it was still worth it to watch each other use it even if we had no interest in what the other was doing. I remember you could click on so much shit on this screen and there was like a minigame or animation or audio quip that played for EVERYTHING. Click on the cat? *Meow* Click on the gumball machine? *Gumball rolls out* Click on the CD player? Music would play.

webkinz.com
cd57713bd8cd01f44416fdd3934eae2a.jpg

I bought my sister a Webkinz when we were kids for her birthday and she figured out the code let her get one of these animals online. This I actually kind of liked to play too I liked the daily games you can play sort of like Neopets.

Facebook.com/Mafia Wars
mafia1.jpg

This was some mafia game on Facebook years ago you could play maybe some of you remember it. I played it even a couple years before this website design which seems to be pushing the iphone version. I remember this was the first game I experienced the "energy" model of gameplay. More than anything I think it was probably just annoying for my mom's friends to get invited to the game every time I needed energy for a raid; similar to Farmville I suppose.

One of the first websites I remember going on with my sister was cakewrecks.com. we thought that shit was hilarious. it was just a bunch of pictures of poorly made cakes with snarky captions. I dont even know how my sister found it or why we thought it was so funny. probably started my developing sense of humor off incredibly stunted

other than that, it was the typical kongregate, newgrounds, various random flash game websites. I remember frequenting yepi.com, which looks way different now than it used to. probably only me though, i dont hear anyone ever talk about it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
if we're talking about some real weird ones, a stargate roleplay website i found where as an 8 year old i was RPing a bartender in chat.

fuck knows what it's called.
ancient aliens game on FB
bartender mixer flash game

Virtual Cafe Awards

Maythews

Just another blue day.
Reaction score
Awards
One site I used to use when I was young was a place called Muchgames. It was sort of like a flash games site meets MySpace. It had all of the usual games and whatnot, but there was also a chat box that we'd all talk and sometimes rp in. The funny thing is that since it was a flash games site first, almost everyone that used it was very young. You would rarely find anyone that was above even like 15 years old. So it was sort of like MySpace but for toddlers, but some of those MySpace culture nuggets did still make their way over and you could find many unique people from many different walks of life. All kinds of cultures and subcultures and everyone largely got along. You could also customize your profile a good deal; it didn't have customize HTML/CSS functionality to my remembrance but it did let you edit your color and BG image.

That site is truly one of the freakiest examples for me of something just being completely forgotten about. I swear it was reasonably popular at one point and it took me hours of digging just to find one other person who even remembered it. I am glad I got that closure since I may well have lost it if I couldn't find anyone else who did, but man. Shit's scary I tell ya.

Outside of that, mostly the usual. I did occasionally stumble onto fansites and my favorite of the bunch was definitely Lemmy's Land. I also played that Nick MMO called "The Club" a lot which is apparently lost media nowadays and I'd write shitty Dragon Ball fanfics on the forums as well.

whiteVHS

Happy Hacking!
Reaction score
Awards
Website
whitevhs.xyz
- Homestarrunner dot com!
- Newgrounds
- Millsberry (RIP)
- Ebaumsworld
- AddictingGames, Kongregate, Miniclip
- YTV (when it actually had games)

I haven't touched these sites in almost two decades at this point, the exception being Homestarrunner. I still browse through there from time to time. Happy it still exists thanks to Ruffle.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
I didn't know how to use a search engine so I went to websites I had memorized:

lego.com
IGN.com
gamespot.com
miniclip.com
netflix.com

I recall just randomly tying in URLs if things I was interested in like "bionicle.com" and hoping it directed me somewhere.

Oh yeah, I also spent a shit ton of time on Webkinz because a friend got me one for my birthday.
ah, miniclip. I spent far too much time on miniclip.
One of the games hosted on the site, Realspace (and its sequel, Realspace 2) actually got a fully-fledged PC game, realspace 3, which I bought and played the heck out of. I think it's abandonware now.
sddefault.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards