What's the oldest piece of technology you use everyday?

I-330

certified loon
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
i330.dev
I've got a few "older" tech items I use on the daily. I carry an Ipod photo (2004) that I use for listening to music on the go, I also carry a 1st gen Ti-83 calculator (1997) and a Minolta Pocket Pak 440E (70's) in my briefcase. I have a Signet wrist-watch and a Hamilton Pocket watch which I wear/carry depending on occasion/outfit.

As for more weekly items, I have a Bronica ETR si (80's) camera which I use on shoots every few days, as well as a Minox model B (40's) which I keep in my pocket whenever going out.

I have a few other older items which I use from time to time, but these are my most used.

Attachments

• 20230713_204101.jpg
    20230713_204101.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20230713_203821.jpg
    20230713_203821.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230713_203748.jpg
    20230713_203748.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230713_203734.jpg
    20230713_203734.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 54
Virtual Cafe Awards
I've got a few "older" tech items I use on the daily. I carry an Ipod photo (2004) that I use for listening to music on the go, I also carry a 1st gen Ti-83 calculator (1997) and a Minolta Pocket Pak 440E (70's) in my briefcase. I have a Signet wrist-watch and a Hamilton Pocket watch which I wear/carry depending on occasion/outfit.

As for more weekly items, I have a Bronica ETR si (80's) camera which I use on shoots every few days, as well as a Minox model B (40's) which I keep in my pocket whenever going out.

I have a few other older items which I use from time to time, but these are my most used.
My dad gave me a Minolta camera a couple days ago.

Virtual Cafe Awards

imnotdeadyet

Pseudoanonymized internet husk
Reaction score
Awards
Website
downbytheseaside.neocities.org
An old small no name color TV from the 90s in one of my rooms because I can't really fit anything in that space, was repaired a few times but still works like a charm. Also an old HP Diskjet from 2009 for my printing needs, it just works compared to most modern printers.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Yuiui

Internet degenerate
Reaction score
Awards
Website
yuiui.moe
If going for daily use probably my old iPod or my around 2008 thinkpad.
Otherwise I still from time to time use a C64 or old Macintosh II

Virtual Cafe Awards

PurpleHello98

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
Probably my iPod nano 5th gen, released in 2009 originally. I got my first in 2020 and had to replace it last year due to a screen failure and I still use it everyday! I love just having something separate to listen to music, since I'm a huge music junkie and I have 2000+ songs!

Oldest thing I could think of is my iPod 4th gen. Godtier device so much better than my phone really when i want to jam out to shit. Flash modded it and everything and it feels brand new. Use it to play whatever i need to but I should really add some background to distract me with. Otherwise, i have a painfully slow MacBook pro 2010. It was a nice find and modding it to the closest version that could support it was ok but the issues make it a downright painful daily driver.

Virtual Cafe Awards

handoferis

Executor of Dry IT Men
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Oldest thing I could think of is my iPod 4th gen. Godtier device so much better than my phone really when i want to jam out to shit. Flash modded it and everything and it feels brand new. Use it to play whatever i need to but I should really add some background to distract me with. Otherwise, i have a painfully slow MacBook pro 2010. It was a nice find and modding it to the closest version that could support it was ok but the issues make it a downright painful daily driver.
You may enjoy the iPod thread

Virtual Cafe Awards

DyingIon

in essence
Reaction score
Awards
I feel like I rely on old tech more than new junk. I watch a lot of movies on my VCR which also has a lot of my old retro consoles hooked up to it. Normally I listen to CDs but I got a walkman and some cassetes lately. Recently started using old cameras instead of DSLRs and mirrorless like everyone and their mother uses - got a new panaonic VHS camera that's like my child.

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
p9Dx_40yiDnnrJnY2pTB3lW5z1I-1920.jpg

Not my photo. This thing went into production in 1979 and plays Radio Jazz pretty much every day. I also have a video of my unit playing a cassette, if you want to see my box in action, albeit it is pretty much the exact same thing.
The next oldest thing would be Nokia N-Gage phone, first model.
Also, I've recently got myself headphones from the 80's. If I'll manage to find good proper adapters to connect it to 3.5 mm jack, it will be a thing which I'll use rather constantly as well.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
More than a month later I still wage war with the headphones from the 80's I've mentioned just above. Every adapter I've tried for some reason loses contact on ocassion. It's not critical, but I want to avoid that, and so, I think, I'll resort to resoldering it to 3.5 mm jack after all.
I'm also not quite sure why, but every adapter is allowing for some movement for some reason? The adapters in question are 6.35 mm to 3.5 mm jacks, and it's the first time I've actually had to use one, so I'm not sure if it should have some freedom of movement or if it is just the infamous quality of chinese manufacturers showing yet again. Frankly, I'm quite sure there should not be any movement in there - an educated guess from the fact that all my 3.5 mm to whatever adapters are quite precise and do not allow for any kind of movement.
Also, the wire of the headphones is a bit too short, so I need an additional jack-jack wire for extension... Kind of starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to make it work smoothly in the end of the day. I've really thought it would be much easier, but so far I've ended up with a bunch of adapters, which are, it seems, good for nothing. At least they were cheap.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards