The world is changing. Radically. And I don't know where it's going to end.

I don't get it either.
so dissociated and demoralized they dont care about something theyve been actively fantasizing about and dreading for years? shouldnt they also be happy people are so dissociated and demoralized they dont even give a damn about aliens possibly existing?
Tin foil hat on. If the governments are fully aware that aliens exist and are waiting for a way to give this news without causing huge impacts to society, then now is the time because people seriously don't care anymore.

Virtual Cafe Awards

dimensionalist

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
It was better back when we could imagine a future where HUMANS and not cyborgs/robots would go out and explore the universe. Possibly we could still get a future like this, but it seems much less likely than before. A high-tech future is usually assumed to be an immortal nano-cyborgs with chips for brains future and not anything like the much more optimistic normal humans having space adventures future that used to seem likely.

Virtual Cafe Awards
It was better back when we could imagine a future where HUMANS and not cyborgs/robots would go out and explore the universe. Possibly we could still get a future like this, but it seems much less likely than before. A high-tech future is usually assumed to be an immortal nano-cyborgs with chips for brains future and not anything like the much more optimistic normal humans having space adventures future that used to seem likely.
The best / coolest future I imagined when I was young was reading neuromancer for the first time

Virtual Cafe Awards

cybercola

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
even back then I feel it was fairly well understood that the humans who would go among the stars would have to be altered in some way to survive the trip

Virtual Cafe Awards

nagolbud

Political correctness is thought control!
Reaction score
Awards
Get out of society while you can and find yourself a nice little community. I highly suggest leaving the USA. If you're smarter than me instead of burning your paperwork you will use it to buy land and setup a farm. For 5-10k you could easily set yourself up with a little piece of land and some fish farms or whatever... and places like Mexico have plenty of opportunity to work if you have the paperwork. If not, your stuck in trade jobs, street jobs, and selling your farm products. My community is poor as fuck so its hard for me to justify taxing people for animals especially when I'm trying to promote homesteading to all my neighbors, better done through gifting animals. The only way to beat the system is with community.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_wnLHnU0J4

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
We will either die in a nuclear holocaust or we'll end up in a totalitarian transhumanist dystopia, which will quickly become a totalitarian posthuman dystopia. That is all I can see.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Descarte Yee

The 4th musketeer
Reaction score
Awards
I believe that we are living in the most pivotal century of human history yet. I believe that at the end of the century, what being a human is like will have undergone a more radical change than any other revolution in our history (yes, even the agricultural one). That is, if we even survive this century, which is an if of reasonable size.

It's estimated that psychologically modern humans came into existence about 50k years ago. At that point, you could probably kidnap a baby from that time and have them integrate pretty well into our modern society. Hell, even before that point you could probably have someone raised under the same circumstances adapt relatively well. Which is kind of weird to think about. People back then more or less tolerated all kinds of things that would horrify almost anyone today, such as slavery, marital rape, rape in general, brutal executions, human sacrifice, etc. Not to say that those things don't happen today; it's more like they've been swept under the rug. But ask virtually anyone today about their opinion about those subjects, and chances are they'd react with emphatic opposition. And yet, some eerie similarities shine through as well, sometimes amusing, sometimes touching. People told crude jokes, wrote even cruder graffiti, sent heartfelt letters to their loved ones, complained about a local business scamming them. This mix of the mundanely familiar and the shocking can be strange, kind of funny even. The more we change, the more we stay the same.

But that's not the point of this post. No, the point is that that might all be going away in our lifetimes.

The strongest common thread between us and our ancestors is arguably our more or less shared genetics and neural/general anatomy and physiology. Anyone alive today has more or less the same brain and the same body as a roman from 2000 years ago, or even a hunter-gatherer from our most ancient parts of our history as homo sapiens. Thanks to the emerging technologies of genetic modification, cybernetics, and artificial intelligence, all that is likely to change. Any attempt to block genetic and/or cybernetic modification of humans on ethical or some other grounds is likely to fail miserably, as any entity that tries to do so has a massive advantage to gain. Super soldiers that easily get stronger than any natural human that only needs to be fed some kind of cheap nutrient paste. People that have a high resistance to the damaging effects of drugs and other chemicals. Hyper-fertile people who can just pump out babies nonstop. This could perhaps even reach the extreme of the Tleilaxu women from Dune, which are females who have been genetically modified to the point where they're basically just massive wombs, with any other human part of them having been stripped away.

These would be bizarre enough. But I haven't even touched on the ways that our brain could be fucked with. Even something as "simple" as increasing the speed at which signals are sent in our brains would have massive repercussions on one's psyche. They'd probably experience everything happening far more slowly than we were ever meant to experience, which could be a pretty horrific form of torture on its own. You might not exactly get to recreate the experience of the Jaunt, but you could get pretty damn close. Of course, you could theoretically account for this by, say, making them ultra-patient. Make it so that they could handle a subjective eternity of being locked in a dark box. While we're at it, we could make people be able to handle a lot of other things most find unpleasant or even unbearable. People who would unquestioningly work in dangerous conditions without pay, possibly even being incapable of considering escape or striking or whatever. Hell, you could probably get them to enjoy it, as well.

Yes, this already sort of exists in the form of brainwashing. But it isn't easy. You really have to break someone, convince them that they have no chance of ever experiencing even a shred of dignity outside of your occasional acts of mercy. And even then, it isn't always reliable. Slave revolts have happened. People underestimate the craftiness of the desperate. Glimpses of an outside appear, no matter how hard any given elite tries to suppress them. With the right understanding of how to modify the human brain, you could theoretically have the perfect drone right out of the box, or gestation chamber, or clone vat. Again, unimaginable advantages for anyone willing to seize them.

And AI is a whole other thing. An AI is likely to be far more alien to us in behavior than an actual alien would be. An alien would probably have arisen in similar basic conditions to us. They would need to eat, reproduce, and all the other things that get your genes passed along in the darwinian game. An AI, on the other hand, would be bound to no such restrictions. It would likely not have any of the hallmarks of a psychology that developed in an evolutionary environment, because obviously, it had not evolved. It has no need for food, no desire for sex or companionship, unless we had programmed those things into it. That's another thing. A lot of modern programs that we call AIs are a bit of a black box. A lot of them were made via neural nets, where they learn how to perform a function based on the given inputs. It would be difficult to know how it knows what to do, even if you could look at its internal code. I suppose, in a way, that means that it did evolve, just not under any "environment" that we were in. Who knows what sorts of things a true AI might do utilizing a system of logic that we do not understand? Would we be in for the singularity? Would we be somehow integrated into the system, or exist like a kind of pest, hiding in the cracks that some vastly higher intelligence of our own making overlooks or does not care to check? Or would we be allowed to exist at all?

Even besides those factors, we're in for a doozy of a century. Surveillance getting more common and more sophisticated. Wealth inequality is reaching levels we haven't seen in a long time. People are getting fed up with the current system and are becoming increasingly open to alternatives. Discussion of the possibility of civil war in the US has become mainstream. Old religious systems have lost much of their grip on the world, and nobody's sure what exactly will replace them. And above all those issues is climate change. At this point, it's going to happen. Mitigation is the name of the game now. And even then, a lot of the response to it has been far more tepid than it needs to be. There will be mass migrations of people seeking better conditions to live and farm. You thought the Syrian refugee crisis was bad? Much worse is coming. As the icecaps melt, it will release gases trapped in the ice such as methane, which will speed up the process greatly. Not to mention that without a fuckton of ice to reflect sunlight back into space, the earth will absorb even more heat. And with the melting ice will come preserved bacteria and viruses, the likes of which we had not been exposed to for thousands of years. Worst case scenario, our entire species could get ravaged like the indigenous populations of the americas were ravaged by smallpox. By several different diseases. At the same time.

Oh, and I'd like to mention that we still have a few nukes kicking around. Just saying.

There's also the possibility of some mass spiritual awakening of some kind, but I honestly don't know enough about the esoteric and the spiritual world to make any definitive predictions there. Still, no matter which way you slice it, we're living in interesting times, and we're on the brink of living in even more interesting times.

In spite of what I just said, I'm glad to be alive. I'm glad to be alive right now. It's bittersweet, to be honest. I came into being and into maturity at the same time that the only form of intelligent life we know of for sure developed the internet, a repository of most of the knowledge of our species, and may live to see it all taken away. I'm glad to have even had the opportunity to see all the things that I have, even the darker, even despicable sides of humanity. I'm glad to have seen seen weird and wonderful things, to have met people I otherwise would have never known, to have learned things I likely would not have come across otherwise. Have a nice life, y'all.
Do you want off Mr. Bones wild ride?

Virtual Cafe Awards
I wholeheartedly agree about "science" (i.e. luciferian secular humanism) becoming the new religion of the world, and while it is not surprising to see, it is troubling. Haven't you noticed that whenever a headline uses the term "experts say", people just accept it- no matter how ridiculous the claim is? It's almost as if people have stopped trying to think at all- they just accept the words of these unnamed "experts" like its the word of God. Pair that with the technology worship and satanic cosmic-space alien fantasy that has entrapped the public, and we've got pagan Rome all over again. Heck, we've already got the debauchery and decadence part down. When's Nero II gonna roll up on this scene and formally establish the Noahide laws?
PR tactic

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZPJpdmw3A&pp=ygUZcHIgcHJvcGFnYW5kYSBmcmVuY2ggZG9jdQ%3D%3D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBJg3hjRAZg&pp=ygUhcHIgcHJvcGFnYW5kYSBmYWN0b3J5IGZvciBjb25zZW50

Edward Bernays

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkN83kdgHps&t=1886s&pp=ygUqCVByb3BhZ2FuZGEgLSBMYSBmYWJyaXF1ZSBkdSBjb25zZW50ZW1lbnQg

Virtual Cafe Awards

alCannium27

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I think for the whole "UAP" stuff, for one, I think it's now passe -- how many of these things "turned out" to be hoax or misindentifications? Virtually all of them had a mundane explaination given. You don't have a lot of Gen-Xers questioning the narratives these days, especially with the stong push against any such ideas during the quarantine. I believe the younglings these days simply believe, habitually or not, that all these will turn out to be the same smoke-and-mirrors as before, a huge bang but little splashes.

Then you have the traditional UFO enthusiasts, who are now mostly middle-age to elderly perhaps? Having half a life-time being told they were fools and they were wrong had to have turned them jaded. I've come across a lot of talk in certain conservative circles that the whole thing has just been a psyop , for what? Well, your guess is as good as mind.

Look, I had been very interested in the UFOs growing up, I had a subscription for some local UFO magazines back in the day, read books regarding mysterious phenomena and cryptids, all that bundle of sticks -- but after all these years of UFOs proving, or being proven, to be balloons, birds, Saturn, or the occasional top-secret experimental craft, even I cannot muster the energy to be excited. Then with CGI easily doable on a home PC, the drones (I bought one with a camera that connects to a smart phone with less than 200 bucks), and the AI, and with the world edging on war -- not to mention people lie -- I just can't convince myself any of these are actual aliens.

unless Mars attacks wont happen, i dont care
(and with childhood, magic is gone /by me)

Virtual Cafe Awards
oof. i never thought of this before, that's wild. "you're not allowed friends because you can do stuff that is against us with them".
1687692825814.png
1687692837136.png
1687692861460.png
1687692882380.png
1687692945067.png

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
They have something whereof they are proud. What do they call it, that which maketh them proud? Culture, they call it; it distinguisheth them from the goatherds.
They dislike, therefore, to hear of 'contempt' of themselves. So I will appeal to their pride.
I will speak unto them of the most contemptible thing: that, however, is THE LAST MAN!"
And thus spake Zarathustra unto the people:
It is time for man to fix his goal. It is time for man to plant the germ of his highest hope.
Still is his soil rich enough for it. But that soil will one day be poor and exhausted, and no lofty tree will any longer be able to grow thereon.
Alas! there cometh the time when man will no longer launch the arrow of his longing beyond man—and the string of his bow will have unlearned to whizz!
I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star. I tell you: ye have still chaos in you.
Alas! There cometh the time when man will no longer give birth to any star. Alas! There cometh the time of the most despicable man, who can no longer despise himself.
Lo! I show you THE LAST MAN.
"What is love? What is creation? What is longing? What is a star?"—so asketh the last man and blinketh.
The earth hath then become small, and on it there hoppeth the last man who maketh everything small. His species is ineradicable like that of the ground-flea; the last man liveth longest.
"We have discovered happiness"—say the last men, and blink thereby.
They have left the regions where it is hard to live; for they need warmth. One still loveth one's neighbour and rubbeth against him; for one needeth warmth.
Turning ill and being distrustful, they consider sinful: they walk warily. He is a fool who still stumbleth over stones or men!
A little poison now and then: that maketh pleasant dreams. And much poison at last for a pleasant death.
One still worketh, for work is a pastime. But one is careful lest the pastime should hurt one.
One no longer becometh poor or rich; both are too burdensome. Who still wanteth to rule? Who still wanteth to obey? Both are too burdensome.
No shepherd, and one herd! Every one wanteth the same; every one is equal: he who hath other sentiments goeth voluntarily into the madhouse.
"Formerly all the world was insane,"—say the subtlest of them, and blink thereby.
They are clever and know all that hath happened: so there is no end to their raillery. People still fall out, but are soon reconciled—otherwise it spoileth their stomachs.
They have their little pleasures for the day, and their little pleasures for the night, but they have a regard for health.
"We have discovered happiness,"—say the last men, and blink thereby.—
And here ended the first discourse of Zarathustra, which is also called "The Prologue": for at this point the shouting and mirth of the multitude interrupted him. "Give us this last man, O Zarathustra,"—they called out—"make us into these last men! Then will we make thee a present of the Superman!" And all the people exulted and smacked their lips. Zarathustra, however, turned sad, and said to his heart:
"They understand me not: I am not the mouth for these ears.
The above is an extract from Thus Spoke Zarathustra. What you refer to in end, is the last men. The soil is still rich. I still see higher men. You need a will, a must. So many people have a should, a might, a maybe. The last man has no will, and it all ends in last men. An extract from the reader's texts:
"Hey man, should we hang out next week?"
"Sure"
The week passes, nothing is willed. Society should be and then we might be... You don't summon order in those words, the same way you don't summon order in your life. Be the man who will will wills. I don't blame those who circle circuses around the shoulds and maybes of society, they've been preached it by priests of the order of dialectics in the holy church of the Prussian Education System, its sludge spilling upon the public consciousness.

Virtual Cafe Awards

microbyte

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
microbyte.neocities.org
Corporations are pushing the subscription for everything and it ruins the society faster than it ruins the environment. I don't want my child to live their life without owning anything.
It's already possible for that to happen. You live in a subscription-based home (rent), using a subscription for necessities, and then go to work in the coffee shop in the subscription car service, and then pop open the subscription laptop (which you can never pay off because you HAVE to upgrade it because of planned obsolescence), connect to the subscription internet, and get a drink using your Coffe Shop Card (subscription). Then you go back home, and slump on your subscription couch, and go watch some streaming TV on your subscription TV, while scrolling on your subscription phone, connected to your subscription cellular network, looking at the news on your subscription news provider. Then you go to bed on your subscription bed.

Screen.Thief

Agora Road Beachcomber
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtube.com
I would just like to point out, that there's every chance that something like the Carrington Event happens again. It was 1859 then, there wasn't much to fry other than some telegraph systems. But now, if we get hit head- on with a geomagnetic storm like that? Anything remotely electrical would be rendered unusable. It happened then, it could've happened in 2012, and it may happen in the future. As for the effects such an event would have, I'm too tired to elaborate deeply, but it wouldn't be far-fetched to say it would take years to recover, maybe a decade, perhaps even more, not to mention the obscene amounts of money needed to make that recovery happen. Then add into that the social implications something like this would have, too, how the world at large would react, what powder kegs would an event like this trigger to explode.
I have long thought about the carrington event. I remember seeing a video a few years ago about companies taking precautions about a large scale solar flare/magnetic storm. Funnily enough, the only company that was actually interviewed was an orange juice manufacturer. There's no telling the implications of such an event, the vast famines, Lootings, murders, etc. it would be an apocalypse (especially in 1st world countries like the US, UK, etc). It's inevitable, and more importantly unavoidable, and it baffles me that no one seems to care or worry about it.

Virtual Cafe Awards
and it baffles me that no one seems to care or worry about it.
maybe they even count on it, to start their own empires "after the fall"
just a quick shower thought...

also also, this has me thinking, if H.E. was cause of "fifth world"... many cataclysms
reminds me of Yellowstone safepoint - SCP (reset button if shit goes hard)

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
oof. i never thought of this before, that's wild. "you're not allowed friends because you can do stuff that is against us with them".
The power of friendship!

Virtual Cafe Awards