Cultural changes you've noticed in your lifetime

greyetch

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
grwfoote.bandcamp.com
"I'm not a conservative" says the person with the most right wing conservative perspective on trans people, ok buddy baka whatever you say. PepSiDawgwitcan
Well a more right wing view would be "I think they should be lined up and shot", so clearly this isn't the "most right wing conservative perspective"... Geez I can't imagine how you'd respond to actual right wing opinions lol.

Saying "a man in a wig taking hormones isn't actually the same thing as a woman" is not "conservative". It is agreed upon by the majority of the planet, and always will be, despite the best efforts of some over socialized academics.
If the format of your comment goes "If I see [insert type of person] I won't be an asshole to them in person but internally I will judge them" then you aren't on the moral high ground you think you are.
It all depends on context. If you walk around with a shirt that says "minor attracted person", I will be disgusted and judge you. If you walk around with a "proud member of the KKK" shirt, same applies. I'll judge you. If your views are openly represented on your body, I have no choice but to react to those views.

If someone is a man attempting to pass as a woman, I will notice that. I won't say anything - but no part of my internal dialogue believes that is a woman. This isn't a choice I get to make.

I once read an account from the Spanish inquisition where a Christian peasant was being interviewed. She had been a Christian her whole life, she believed in Christ, the trinity, all that. However, mass was still in Latin, and she could not understand Latin. So when they asked her if she truly believed that the wine was Jesus' blood and the bread was truly and literally his body, she was very confused and answered honestly: "no". They tried to convince her, but try as they might, she couldn't actually convince herself that the break and wine were LITERALLY the body and blood of Jesus.

This is how I feel about trans people. I want to be a good person and believe the right stuff. But I cannot convince myself that people can change from male to female, or vice versa. It is what it is.

Virtual Cafe Awards

WKYK

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Reaction score
Awards
Website
wkyk.neocities.org
I was gonna post this in the thread about ways that technology has changed certain parts of society but I couldn't find it for the life of me, idk where it went.
But anyway, why does everybody watch shows and movies with subtitles nowadays? Like am I crazy or does that not just take so much away from a movie? I find it really annoying, whenever I sit down to watch something with the family or my gf I force them to turn off subtitles because they're just unbearable to me. But I swear this wasn't a thing like a year ago, so what happened?

Virtual Cafe Awards
Reaction score
Awards
Website
myspace.com
But anyway, why does everybody watch shows and movies with subtitles nowadays? Like am I crazy or does that not just take so much away from a movie? I find it really annoying, whenever I sit down to watch something with the family or my gf I force them to turn off subtitles because they're just unbearable to me. But I swear this wasn't a thing like a year ago, so what happened?
I've seen this in places where people might be speaking or having conversations around where the movie is being shown. If people were serious about watching a movie, but turned them on when they aren't needed, it would be pretty annoying

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I keep seeing people online talking about all these trans kids, but I have two kids in Elementary school and its yet to come up.
I'm involved in my local community and volunteer at my kids' school. I just don't see the things people on the Internet keep telling me are happening in the schools, other parents don't seem to talk about them and my kids don't talk about them.
It's notable that you have not mentioned where you are, even in broad terms. In my opinion, that is ultimately the fact that would determine whether or not your other claims are believable. I've traveled across the US a fairly significant amount and truly believe that even the most outlandish claims are believable in some parts of the country and are hyperbolic (or flat out false) in others. I know people with children on both coasts, people with children in the heartland, and people with recently-adult children in the south, needless to say their kids have had wildly different experiences with regards to exposure to pride growing up.

It all depends on context. If you walk around with a shirt that says "minor attracted person", I will be disgusted and judge you. If you walk around with a "proud member of the KKK" shirt, same applies. I'll judge you. If your views are openly represented on your body, I have no choice but to react to those views.
A few years ago now, when conservative bans were all the rage on social media, leftist people were very fond of saying things like "freedom of speech does not guarantee you a platform," yet they do not seem to grasp the concept that "freedom of expression is not the freedom from judgement."

The above points are basically the changes I've noticed in my lifetime: the US is far less homogenous than it used to be, owing to the fact that certain groups/regions deal with modern problems by "moving forward" (without looking where they're going) while others cling to the past, seeking revivalism without realizing that although the past was good in some ways it was terrible in others. This blatant lack of homogeneity is on FULL display due to social media, news networks that attempt to drive culture instead of report on it, and it seems far more acceptable for the opinions/values mainstream politicians and their supporters to be openly hypocritical and failing basic tests of internal logical consistency.

Virtual Cafe Awards

bnuungus

call me bun
Reaction score
Awards
I was gonna post this in the thread about ways that technology has changed certain parts of society but I couldn't find it for the life of me, idk where it went.
It's probably because the sound in movies is geared towards high end sound systems so when the audio is compressed to only one channel it's nearly impossible to decipher what the characters are saying. Christopher Nolan had a quote where he essentially said he didn't give a single shit about tailoring the audio of a movie to anything less than the best of the best of sound systems. That's why movies from the 60s are so easy to understand but as technology progressed, your average home entertainment system couldn't keep up

Virtual Cafe Awards

SpeedSleek

Burning way past cool
Reaction score
Awards
This really shouldn't be my first post here but fuck it.
I've noticed that cameras are just fucking everywhere nowadays, almost to the point where we live in a surveillance state hellhole (well at least in the USA).
I don't just mean public spaces like shopping malls but in regular neighborhoods thanks to shit like Ring.
Now I can understand not wanting your house broken into and being able to catch the bastard who's stealing your shit but from what I've seen the primary reason for these installations never seems to be about that, in fact it feels more secondary than anything else. When you look at any video from a Ring camera or ask why this stuff even exists it seems to just come back around to average joes not wanting someone to steal their precious Amazon packages. You have multiple cases where people even have cameras equipped with microphones in their own houses for whatever reason just to make sure that the dog wont shit on the carpet.
And no one ever questions it, ask anyone why they have 5 cameras in and out of their house and they don't seem to see a problem their private space not being so private anymore.
I know the world's getting flushed down the crapper but is it really that bad?

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
This really shouldn't be my first post here but fuck it.
I've noticed that cameras are just fucking everywhere nowadays, almost to the point where we live in a surveillance state hellhole (well at least in the USA).
I don't just mean public spaces like shopping malls but in regular neighborhoods thanks to shit like Ring.
Now I can understand not wanting your house broken into and being able to catch the bastard who's stealing your shit but from what I've seen the primary reason for these installations never seems to be about that, in fact it feels more secondary than anything else. When you look at any video from a Ring camera or ask why this stuff even exists it seems to just come back around to average joes not wanting someone to steal their precious Amazon packages. You have multiple cases where people even have cameras equipped with microphones in their own houses for whatever reason just to make sure that the dog wont shit on the carpet.
And no one ever questions it, ask anyone why they have 5 cameras in and out of their house and they don't seem to see a problem their private space not being so private anymore.
I know the world's getting flushed down the crapper but is it really that bad?
Yeah, I get a feeling of being constantly watched when just walking home because every house has these, and if you look into the houses or anything and these guys go back through their footage and see it, they'd probably freak out and think you're plotting to rob them. My little square kilometer area has its own dedicated Facebook group where people just post stuff they saw on their Ring cameras. I understand why it's popular, the area is going down the crapper, there's more crimes and they are getting more extreme. a Ring camera won't stop it though. You'd be lucky if it's helpful because they only record when they detect motion IIRC and that takes ages to kick in, plus their audio quality is so bad that speech is totally illegible.
I just can't believe people have these installed inside of their home. Recently it was found that random Amazon employees were taking videos of girls getting undressed and having showers off of Amazon's servers and keeping them. I bet the people who buy these think the videos are stored in the cameras or something.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SpeedSleek

Burning way past cool
Reaction score
Awards
a Ring camera won't stop it though. You'd be lucky if it's helpful because they only record when they detect motion IIRC and that takes ages to kick in
I'm not an expert on home defense but from what I heard if someone breaks into your house there's a good chance they're prepared to hurt you. No camera is going to stop an armed robber dead in their tracks. It's a known fact that having security signs on your front lawn do jack.
Recently it was found that random Amazon employees were taking videos of girls getting undressed and having showers off of Amazon's servers and keeping them. I bet the people who buy these think the videos are stored in the cameras or something.
The fuck? I knew that these things can be accessed remotely but I didn't think it would be this bad. A real shame that we never learned from all those decade old videos with people hacking all of those remote cameras. But I bet if I tried to tell my family about this they'd just brush it off by calling me crazy, saying that they have nothing to hide, or some form of whataboutism.

Virtual Cafe Awards

pronoundisrespecter

Raw Honey Defender
Reaction score
Awards
  • Cellphones everywhere
  • "Smart" everything. Everything has to be connected to WiFi/Bluetooth for some reason now.
  • Normalization of social media as a default/common area for all forms of socializing. Real-life socializing takes a backseat
  • Text messaging becoming secondary to chatting on social media apps. No one uses the telephone anymore and if you try to call from an unknown number, good luck getting anyone to answer you.
  • Payphones vanishing. There are three areas left as far as I have seen in my city where one can still use one.
  • Increased polarization and political crap everywhere. People use their political ideology as another personal identifier. When I was a child, it was rude to talk about politics with strangers or to ask someone who they voted for. Now people demand this information from you or act like you are in the loop with whatever fake political theatre is on Twitter at any given moment. I've met people at social events who immediately off the bat start roping me into their nonsensical schizophrenic ramble about their political beliefs and how much they hate X politician. Everyone is expected to have an opinion about #currentthing, so they can be pulled into an argument. If you don't have an opinion about #currentthing, then you will still be a bad guy in a lot of people's eyes, because you are "ignoring serious issues" etc etc. A "serious issue" which will be memory-holed in 3 months when the next bullshit comes down the pipe.
  • "Fat acceptance"
  • Overt sexual perversion everywhere + people having no shame in outwardly discussing their private sex lives.
  • Dating has shifted from real life encounters with real people to a formulaic, low-comittment, low-risk online setting.
  • Transgender craze + people suddenly thinking teenage girls who are too young to get a tattoo are somehow mature enough to get their breasts cut off because they don't understand what being a tomboy is.
  • Pride events + eyesore rainbow insignia being absolutely everywhere for the entire month of June without fail.
  • Death of formality or cleaning yourself up before you go outside. Not everyone is like this, but NO ONE wore pyjamas to the grocery store when I was a child. People look like slobs in public and seem to be so out of it when they're going to the bank or whatever. Of course no one needs to go all the way and wear a suit to get simple errands done, but wearing clothing you sleep in to a public setting is objectively gross and is a sign of laziness/no self-respect.
  • Rapid deterioration in the quality of pop music. I think the last time radio music was overall still entertaining and creative was 2011-2013. After that it's all "we finna finna" this and that or sexual innuendos with aimless music videos of women shaking their silicone injections and doing retarded tongue movements. Remember when Lady Gaga released a nine-minute short film as a music video? Love her or hate her, but that was cool of her to do.
  • Shortening of attention span + short songs + TikTok-style bite sized video crap
  • DVD/CD sales and usage tanking in favour of online streaming.
  • Death of Blockbuster
  • Online shopping becoming more common
  • Abrupt public veneration of of big pharma and "the science"
  • Increased social atomization and self-imposed isolation/loneliness. Most people my age have zero capacity for reaching negotiation or problem solving in their friendships/relationship/family. They blow up at eachother and cut them off. I constantly have to butt out of conversations because people think it's chill to randomly bring up how much they hate their parents/spouse/friend, smack talking them over minor or inconsequental disputes, fishing for validation. When I was a child people gossiped of course, but there was more respect for one another and people understood that having one argument/disagreement with someone doesn't mean you have to cut them out of your life.

Virtual Cafe Awards
I am unusure how to explain it properly, but it seems that those that have a very passionate beliefs all end with the same "idea configuration". Here's an example:

Let's say you got a person who do not trust the US governement and is VERY passionate about it. Chances are this individual is very privacy-minded, is anti-vax, uses Linux, buy into conspiracies and is into crypto currency.

The same can be applied to other kind of people too. Chances are if you know some beliefs a person have, you can pretty much guess most of the other things this person does.

This scares me. It seems most that people are unable to have an unique sets of idea anymore. Everyone seems to follow some kind of mould. Even those who claim to be "not be like the others" (i.e people into conspiracies) almost always end up in the same spots.

Now granted, I am sure there a few person out there that cannot be categorized as such, but I still think it applies to most people.
"Weak men are superweapons" thread

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
So after watching this video, not only did I briefly wish I had been raised in the 80s, but it got me thinking about all the things in my own life time I've already seen change (often to my dismay).
This was my childhood. I was born mid-80's in a small city.
It was so much better in pretty much every way.

I fucking hate the "safety first", fear based, litigious busybody culture that has led our society down a path of un-fun, whiny weakness, and nanny state authoritarianism. A lot of this stuff changed around me as I grew up, I became especially aware of it in very late 90's and early 2000's. I remember a big point of frustration for my high school class (students of the same school year) was being the first year to experience a lot of bullshit rule changes and trying, quite unsuccessfully, to rebel against them.

A change that's really solidified that I hate is how draconian political correctness is now. I remember when being politically incorrect was synonymous with being vulgar, now it can get you fired. The concept of "locker room talk" was prevalent, and public/private speech was distinguished. When used with friends, words like "faggot" or "retard" were just that, words with an added spice. Anyone with social sense wouldn't use them in a class presentation or at Sunday school, but going back to my first point, it was language you would frequently hear at the neighborhood park while kids were hanging out and playing Yu-Gi-Oh or something.

Shit talking used to be an important part of how boys bonded.
I've heard some compelling arguments that a lot of these changes have been a deliberate attack and breaking down of male culture and identity. At first you might have the gut reaction that this sounds conspiratorial. But then you see the mountain of writings from feminist academics literally spelling it all out.

But also I think a lot of it was just an unanticipated consequence of the increasing incorporation of women into what were once male only spaces (which are no longer allowed). Both because most men talk differently around women, and because women did not understand the shit talking, and found it upsetting.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
I fucking hate the "safety first", fear based, litigious busybody culture that has led our society down a path of un-fun, whiny weakness, and nanny state authoritarianism. A lot of this stuff changed around me as I grew up, I became especially aware of it in very late 90's and early 2000's. I remember a big point of frustration for my high school class (students of the same school year) was being the first year to experience a lot of bullshit rule changes and trying, quite unsuccessfully, to rebel against them.
i think i shared that Quora around here but idk what post, idk if not here too
here i go again
(
ChatGPT
According to studies, Japanese culture does place a strong emphasis on independence and self-reliance from a young age. However, it's important to keep in mind that media portrayals may not always accurately reflect reality and should be taken with a grain of salt. Additionally, cultural and societal norms can vary within a country, so it's also worth noting that the experiences of some Japanese toddlers may differ from what is portrayed in the show.

)
hm, god shortened?

Profile photo for Ithamar Paraguassu Ramos

Ithamar Paraguassu Ramos
·
Following
Webcomics, Comic book and children´s book AUthor (1996–present)Updated Jan 2
yes, and the craziest thing is that Americans used to be too.
main-qimg-712b0bed304f16ba0dc1627f268f965d-lq

That thing you saw in films abouts 50s to 70s with small children hanging around in nearby woods, and working witth tools to build their own toys is not fantasy or fictions.
main-qimg-6c429c77b0c84019ea632bdf237785ea-lq

Untill the early 80s, tools for cgildren arent made of plastic.
They were just functional tools, just smaller, and those are view as cheap toys.

And those dont even enter in the lists of dangerous toys, they gave crazy stuff to kids play in the old times.
main-qimg-8db9586624b597148810784f2d3f9bce-lq

And the 80s, children around 9 - 11 were views as responsible enough to go home and stay there by themselves until the parents got home after work.

This thing to treat children as incapable is very recent.
Is a thing just from American Millenials and Zoomers only.
Most countrys find USa a bit creepy for that.

I was talking with a person who ask me if 13 years old kids need babysitters and I said that in may time that was the age of babysitters.
With 5 and 6, my parents called a 12 yo neighbor to look at us while they go out.
And at 13 my classmates were babysitters.
That series of books from "the babysitters club" its not fantasy, girls that age were babysitters.
main-qimg-8a87e323ba41cda2def0d3726bb97e5e-lq

In older generations we had very few people raised like incapable children and helicopter parents are very rare.

And to say the truth that happens in the majority of countries in the world.

This "protection" Americans being suffering in the last decades is actually abuse, and is clearly that the last generations create a great number of non functional adults, that show clear signs of abuse.

And wen I say "Americans" i like to let clear that we become the exception, most countries in the world kids are raised to be independent as possible.
main-qimg-93d400278b55e73266dec73535cc8873-lq

The irony is that we see a lot of people saying how safer the old time are, but with modern projected neigborhoods and harsher safety laws on all kinds of product, we have places with a safety that dont even existed in none place of the world in the 50s and 60s.
main-qimg-9c1d15b8e5ec498819301b93b18c797b-pjlq

I remember very well when the media started to profit with the fear of parents, making everybody paranoic with a wave of histories of children being harmed.
And never stopped, a case that happens in the other side of the country they maker a fuss that people feel is something that happens every day in every place.

The sad part in our times, is that there was a weird conception that raising children to be independent is equal to unsafe.
Or that to make independent children you need to make then unsafe for some reason.
I personally had a problem with this odd conception, because the reality is exactly the opposite: Being independent is to be more prepared and be safer.

Often those "protected" children end being raised to be victims, the opposite to be protected or to be safer..
main-qimg-06f74ce6e4561655661e7745851cfa19-lq

116K views
View 1,968 upvotes
View 27 shares

also, this thread: https://forum.agoraroad.com/index.p...go-traps-of-gen-echo-chambers.6203/post-94001

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
But anyway, why does everybody watch shows and movies with subtitles nowadays?
My wife and I started watching a lot of stuff with subtitles because Hollywood exclusively mixes the sound for a a fucking ultra screen movie theater, with no concern/options for the average home viewer who doesn't have a 7.2 surround sound system with the volume of each channel finely tuned to get the perfect listening experience. .

If you adjust the volume to so that you can actually hear people talk, then the action scenes blow out your speakers and your ear drums. If you adjust the volume so that the action scenes aren't unbearably loud, then you can't hear anyone talk during quiet scenes.
It's just easier to turn on subtitles so that you don't miss what anybody says.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
I fucking hate the "safety first", fear based, litigious busybody culture that has led our society down a path of un-fun, whiny weakness, and nanny state authoritarianism.
My dude.
I so fucking hate it. All other things aside, it ruined automotive industry. Pop-up headlights? No, dangerous. Hood ornaments? No, dangerous. Design? No, everything has to have the same rounded shapes because muh crumble zones. Listening to those people I wonder how humans even survived the rise of the automobile in 1900's, as according to them humanity should've died out the moment first hundered of those four-wheeled terminators appeared.
It also probably started back in those days as well, with fags like Charles Richter fighting against ornaments on buildings because they have a higher chance to fall off during earthquakes. And now we all live in faceless boxes, great fucking job.
It's like people are going to live forever or something. Idiots. Their safety sucks out huge portion of joy and soul out of this life.

A change that's really solidified that I hate is how draconian political correctness is now. I remember when being politically incorrect was synonymous with being vulgar, now it can get you fired. The concept of "locker room talk" was prevalent, and public/private speech was distinguished. When used with friends, words like "faggot" or "retard" were just that, words with an added spice.
Good thing my friends around this place are still like that, despite being 10 years younger than me. Otherwise I would've never been able to connect.

As you can tell, that video was my childhood as well... Eh, I... I dunno, I wish I was born earlier, so those times wouldn't have been my childhood, but my concious life.
If you adjust the volume to so that you can actually hear people talk, then the action scenes blow out your speakers and your ear drums. If you adjust the volume so that the action scenes aren't unbearably loud, then you can't hear anyone talk during quiet scenes.
This is actually true as well. The moment something goes boom - you are deaf. Though I usually prefer subtitles simply because I grew to like to watch movies on their original languages, and since I watch movies from all over the world, there are many languages I do not know.
Overall, 5.1 and above are somehow bearable on my system. Either it's a good system or I've managed to configure something right... On ocassion, conversion of 5.1 sound to the stereo also helps, though I do not do that often. Still, there's no denying that sound... ugh, do not remember the correct word, let's call it design - anyway, it is awful in modern movies. For home watching, I mean. Might be swell for theaters, but I kind of dislike those.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Aevisia

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
thecozy.cat
So after watching this video, not only did I briefly wish I had been raised in the 80s, but it got me thinking about all the things in my own life time I've already seen change (often to my dismay).

Technological change is obvious, so I want to focus instead on cultural changes. Anything mundane and stupid like fads and popular celebrates, to larger scale cultural changes and points of nostalgia.

I was born in the mid to late 90's so the first decade of the 2000s is when my childhood took place. One thing I remember quite fondly was playing outside with friends. It was a time of freedom, and parental supervision was minimal if not completely absent.

A change that's really solidified that I hate is how draconian political correctness is now. I remember when being politically incorrect was synonymous with being vulgar, now it can get you fired. The concept of "locker room talk" was prevalent, and public/private speech was distinguished. When used with friends, words like "faggot" or "retard" were just that, words with an added spice. Anyone with social sense wouldn't use them in a class presentation or at Sunday school, but going back to my first point, it was language you would frequently hear at the neighborhood park while kids were hanging out and playing Yu-Gi-Oh or something.

I might share more in another post, but I'm curious what other people have to share.
Sounds like we grew up around the same time period. I remember back then no one really talked about politics either. It was kind of this unspoken thing that no one dared talk about with each other because it was known to cause discourse. It was kept as a private affair, even between spouses. Now it's plastered everywhere and everyone hates each other for it and won't associate with you if you lean a certain way. It seems like that gradually started around 2016 and just kind of spiraled from there.

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
-It was very cool not to care. Caring was for faggots. Nobody wanted to be a faggot. Nihilism was in. I still struggle with this one. I'm still kind of just generally disaffected and don't actually care about very much. Having kids helped, but I still struggle to care about shit generally.
Oh yeah, you definitely grew up in the mid 90s.
Nobody ever talks about this anymore, so I forget about it myself sometimes, but that was a BIG thing in "youth culture" back then.
It was cool to not care about anything. The less you cared, the cooler you were.

I think it was mostly a trend among younger Gen Xers, but it trickled down to the older millennials as well.
I seem to remember it being somewhat tied to Grunge rock and stoner culture.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Fun. I can't say I've ever noticed that in the 90's. Around this place it wasn't that big of a trend... for me, at least. One of my friends though - he still kind of carries that same attitude, and he had to pick it up somewhere. He is kind of younger than me though, so, perhaps, it all comes together since this country has a bit of a time lag behind US.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jodo_Fan

Frustrated normie.
Reaction score
Awards
I think it was mostly a trend among younger Gen Xers, but it trickled down to the older millennials as well.
I seem to remember it being somewhat tied to Grunge rock and stoner culture.

The whole slacker thing, right? Being an old millennial, I might stick up for this a little. Apathy aside, it was at least based on a recognition that the prevailing culture was somehow inherently unhealthy and cynical, leading to a distrust of politicians, media and corporate culture. Along with this came an admiration for alternative ways of forging your path in the world. Plus, excessive self promotion was seen as yuck.

I'm not saying slacker was necessarily practical or offered any kind of great philosophical insight (what youth culture does?), but I do still appreciate some of its underlying sentiments. It's certainly better than hustle culture, influencer culture and or simping for the corporatocracy. Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy.

I'd also add that meme culture (as much as I often enjoy it) is a sign that apathy and nihilism haven't gone anywhere. What's that about humour being the death of feeling?

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
The whole slacker thing, right?
I wouldn't call it a "slacker" thing. As someone who wrote "Slacker" as his custom title, I think that's an 80's thing, and slackers do care. They just care about stuff they want to care about, they care about things they are interested in, genuinely and wholeheartedly. As Linklater said: "Slackers might look like the left-behinds of society, but they are actually one step ahead, rejecting most of society and the social hierarchy before it rejects them. The dictionary defines slackers as people who evade duties and responsibilities. A more modern notion would be people who are ultimately being responsible to themselves and not wasting their time in a realm of activity that has nothing to do with who they are or what they might be ultimately striving for."

You might call the 90's "not caring" thing a logical evolution of a slacker, if anything. As slackers did not care about things they were not interested in, the later gen didn't care about anything at all.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards