Current Thing meme analysis and research

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Though we're still missing 22. Which is the cover art (?) below glaggeland, not to be confused with Tail concerto. Also 9, the meme (?) that says The Rides.

SA.PNG

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I think one day someone is going to make a prediction or thread about something like dead internet theory that takes off somehow and 2 years later there will be a down the rabbit hole or iceberg vid that heavily features agora, and it'll be all over.

View: https://youtu.be/DEn758DVF9I?t=1329

Oh, it been over for a while.

Virtual Cafe Awards
  • Coffee (Like)
Reactions: UCD

Deleted member 4436

I think one day someone is going to make a prediction or thread about something like dead internet theory that takes off somehow and 2 years later there will be a down the rabbit hole or iceberg vid that heavily features agora, and it'll be all over.
Pseudiom, while not that big of a youtuber in the grand scheme of things, has had a couple breakout videos and has also mentioned this site a couple times, follows the Agora twitter account, and has also made a video on the dead internet theory. Pretty sure he lurks here.

Pseudiom if you're reading this react with the Giggachad reaction :gigachad:

Vaporweeb

Its n-not like I like you or anything!
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
falsememories.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Virtual Cafe Awards

remember_summer_days

It ain't Jesus or the devil. It's Jesus or you.
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Andy you're cool though. But I f I catch you walking around NYC or San Francisco in a $3,500 rain jacket, drinking meal replacements while lecturing strangers on why their medical records should really be stored on the etherium blockchain...

:teletubbyman:
I will never in my life spend more than 100 bucks on an item of clothing aside from my tuxedo for my wedding.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
On topic: I read several times now ITT that the only winning move is not to get riled up by the soyjack meme.
I want to disagree for a specific reason:
If you follow this logic, you're giving these meme creators power over you to become apathetic towards basically everything, just because you fear being depicted as the soyjack.
This is already the maxim on boards like /v/ where liking anything at all is considered cringe and réddit and this place is absolutely miserable and full of people being really passionate about not having passion for anything
Please do not fall this level!
It's okay to be passionate about things and it's ok to draw a line between normal and obscure. These lines still exist and some faggot on twitter making a soyjack meme about it doesn't change reality. Sure, some people may take the 'I like obscure thing" a little too seriously but completely abandoning these categories in fear of falling into some misanthrope's trap on twitter feels as silly to me. The lines might be more blurry today than 20 years ago but they're still there.
And if you take a step back and away from terminally online zoomer culture: most normal people still won't recognize most of this image.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
If hollow old-web aesthetic surges more, there will eventually be some gay video on Agora. If so, I better be in it, that way people think I'm like super important.
With AI's direction there's probably gonna be more discussion about bots as the lines get more blurry. But I did have a look online and the Dead Internet Theory thread isn't on the first page of DDG or Google, I swear it was a while back. So maybe we're safe, who knows. I assume as soon as we know though, IIlluminati would shut down registrations or at least limit them. It's been talked about before round here, but there's also the fact that most people wouldn't really bother to read long text posts, so most people would get bored and leave quickly, turning Agora Road into just another item they know a little something, but essentially nothing about.
What would a video essay of Agoraroad look like lol. Honestly, I don't think we're a remarkable community, we're basically 4chan lite IMO.
It's not like video essays ever have anything to say. It'd just be a half-ass description of the website followed by reading aloud posts from the major threads on this site.
"AGORA ROAD ICEBERG EXPLAINED!" (59:57)
nagol takes up half the video
Here's my proposed iceberg
1680135756882.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
But I did have a look online and the DIO thread isn't on the first page of DDG or Google, I swear it was a while back.
You mean the Dead Internet Theory thread? If so I can attest to it once being one of the first results not too long ago. Ironically it looks like this site is probably getting de-ranked in favor of secondary coverage coming from "authoritative sources."

Virtual Cafe Awards

LostintheCycle

Formerly His Holelineß
Reaction score
Awards
You mean the Dead Internet Theory thread? If so I can attest to it once being one of the first results not too long ago. Ironically it looks like this site is probably getting de-ranked in favor of secondary coverage coming from "authoritative sources."
Yes I did, my apologies I have no idea how I got 'DIO' from Dead Internet Theory... it's kind of weird how abysmally tiny the Wikipedia entry for it is. I don't even know why the author made it at that point.

Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I want to disagree for a specific reason:
If you follow this logic, you're giving these meme creators power over you to become apathetic towards basically everything, just because you fear being depicted as the soyjack.
This is already the maxim on boards like /v/ where liking anything at all is considered cringe and réddit and this place is absolutely miserable and full of people being really passionate about not having passion for anything
Please do not fall this level!
It's okay to be passionate about things and it's ok to draw a line between normal and obscure. These lines still exist and some faggot on twitter making a soyjack meme about it doesn't change reality. Sure, some people may take the 'I like obscure thing" a little too seriously but completely abandoning these categories in fear of falling into some misanthrope's trap on twitter feels as silly to me. The lines might be more blurry today than 20 years ago but they're still there.
And if you take a step back and away from terminally online zoomer culture: most normal people still won't recognize most of this image.
I think you got the wrong impression. We arrived to the same conclusion, just that I warn about buying too much into media as identity.

Lemme put it in a cool way. Its about enjoying what you consume, not being consumed by what you enjoy.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Deleted member 4436

If hollow old-web aesthetic surges more, there will eventually be some gay video on Agora. If so, I better be in it, that way people think I'm like super important.
You're too late. This video already has half a million views. Looks like @Jade is the real top dog of the Agora now

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
I think you got the wrong impression. We arrived to the same conclusion, just that I warn about buying too much into media as identity.

Lemme put it in a cool way. Its about enjoying what you consume, not being consumed by what you enjoy
I think it's fine for teenagers to do this. If you're really into a fandom, it's more or less part of puberty to derive your identity from that. Just like in my teenage years people divided themselves up into punks/emos/goths/metalheads as subcultures, teens today are doing the same with online communities centred around media.
You should probably grow out of it sooner than later but I wouldn't see it as categorically wrong, rather as expected behavior and a coming of age process.
Having good memories during your formative years because of media isn't a sin either. If in ten years some 25yo has nostalgia about the backrooms Community or whatever then so be it.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

SomaSpice

Sandwich Maker
Silver
Reaction score
Awards
I think it's fine for teenagers to do this. If you're really into a fandom, it's more or less part of puberty to derive your identity from that. Just like in my teenage years people divided themselves up into punks/emos/goths as subcultures, teens today are doing the same with online communities centred around media.
You should probably grow out of it sooner than later but I wouldn't see it as categorically wrong, rather as expected behavior and a coming of age process.
Having good memories during your formative years because of media isn't a sin either. If in ten years some 25yo has nostalgia about the backrooms Community or whatever then so be it.
I agree with everything you said.
just that I warn about buying too much into media as identity.

Virtual Cafe Awards

mydadiscar

Webcomics! Banzai!
Reaction score
Awards
Virtual Cafe Awards