The Mario Movie

• Thread starter Jade
  • Start date
  • This thread has been viewed 3798 times.

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
First trailer just dropped

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMPCXuvL8EM

Feels like Nintendo really came down hard on Illumination for this one, it actually looks competent. The visuals are my favorite part so far, it's gorgeous.
The voice acting, unfortunately, I think was terrible. Jack Black surprised me, his Bowser is actually kind of decent, but I don't know what the fuck they were doing with Chris Pratt. That is literally just his normal voice coming out of Mario's mouth, and whoever took that clip of him awkwardly reading off the teleprompter prior to the trailer and decided "yeah, this is good to go on Youtube" should probably be fired.
tl;dr I am probably going to watch the Japanese dub

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Well that trailer looked somewhat decent I must say. Still, I will not get my hopes up - who know what the final product will end up being like.

Punp

3D/2D artist
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
punp.neocities.org
Yeah, the voice acting was weak. Bowser didn't have the vocal presence to match his appearance, but I was shocked Mario wasn't as awful as I expected (but it's still Chris Pratt so there's no escaping that 'everything in cinema is the same now' vibe). The toad voice was pretty great. All in all, the baked in-game cinematic style was nailed really well, with the colourful lighting Nintendo has become known for. If anything this will be a visual smorgasboard and I want to see more of that Luigi chase scene. The Japanese dub is a great idea, that sounds like a much better experience. I imagine their Bowser will be deep and imposing. I just hope the lips are reanimated for each localisation.

EDIT: I just watched the pretrailer gabble. Chris Pratt really was going full autocue. He's never played a Mario game in his life. Jack Black was doing his whole fellow rock-kids deal, but I appreciate his sweet Venusaur shirt.

EDIT2: Talking of movie homogenisation, Seth Rogen, Charlie Day, Keegan-Michael Key and Charles Martinet are involved in the project. Japanese dub is looking more and more appealing.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

punishedgnome

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I don't mind the voice because when I was a child Mario sounded like this:

Virtual Cafe Awards

elia925-6

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
I was expecting a stupid kid film with lame 10 year old pop music, stupid sidekick character for selling merch, forgettable plot, like most these days. My jaw dropped when i saw the trailer except mario's voice who sounded like redneck. I hope it will be good.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Jade

Shameless Germaniboo
Reaction score
Awards
Website
idelides.xyz
Virtual Cafe Awards

SolidStateSurvivor

This is Extremely Dangerous to Our Democracy
Reaction score
Awards
Website
youtuube.neocities.org
Bob Hoskins is still the superior Mario, and hell he was plastered for most the film's shooting. I prefer Mario being a greasy Brooklynite. I'm really not a fan of Illumination outside of their Despicable Me films either.

This movie is expectedly playing it safe, can't fault them for that and it could work, but I worry it could feel a little soulless as a result. Character design looks a bit off for some reason.

I think it'll be a pretty average movie overall, I'll be curious to see how it is compared to the Sonic films.

Virtual Cafe Awards