What does your dream house look like?

赤い男

번호9
Reaction score
Awards
Mine is a cabin in the woods, preferably near a lake. I don't want to be too far from society, just far enough to get good privacy. Color pallet is going to be green, white, black, and... wood colored? Green and white for cloths, and black and wood for my furniture. Two stories, with a small storage room under the stairs, bedroom and living room on the 2nd floor, kitchen and dining room downstairs. I also want to raise a few animals, so a couple goats and a cat for sure.
An small apartment in netherlands, a bed, a window, some posters, a tv, a bathroom, and a place to drink, i'm ok with the smallest things really as long as it is the first world i don't mind living under a bridge, i'm not very picky tbh, at the end of the day home is where your heart is.

Some apartments in hong kong as reference.

1676423998315.png

1676424043816.png

1676424057163.png

1676424080420.png

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

anagram.nagaram

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
HouseII.jpeg

House.jpeg

I want a newly built 1800 style classical mansion with at least 15 acres and a lake.

Virtual Cafe Awards

33_deimos

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
The hunter's lodge in Elliðaey Island in Iceland. Describing it is pointless, as the picture speaks a thousand words already.

Ellidaey-Heimaklettur_AAA9122c.jpg

Of course, since it's not realistic to survive entirely on puffins and Atlantic cods and loneliness would eventually get to me, a less idealistic preference would be a small and comfy apartment like the first one Jackeline posted. Which, thankfully, I already live in.

J. Cam

Internet Refugee
Reaction score
Awards
honestly, i used to want a big ass mansion (very original i know), but lately, i've been imagining my future ideal life in a reasonably sized flat or small house suitable for settling down in. no clue what made me change my mind, but maybe i've just grown out of my dreams of being rich and famous - i now would rather be stable and happy. damn, i think i win the award for most boring answer lmao

Andy Kaufman

i know
Reaction score
Awards
Germany has many woods and forests and some very old villages. Ideally I'd have a house next to one of those forests where my backyard basically touches the trees.
063468_15ff4ddb.jpg

Virtual Cafe Awards

Orlando Smooth

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
On a large piece of land (50+ acres) in the mountainous northern region of my home state, I want to build a house that is truly off grid without making major sacrifices in terms of modern convenience. A water well that comes up through the foundation, whole house battery system in the basement that is charged by a solar array large enough to provide a day's worth of electricity at a time, high quality insulation to make it energy efficient, a nice fireplace, well-equipped kitchen, and multiple bedrooms so friends and family can visit. There will also be a large, detached structure that serves as a workshop (primarily woodworking) on the first floor, with an external staircase that leads to a three season bunkhouse and storage area. Finally, a walking trail that leads to a private campsite with a lean-to and stone-and-mortar grill, both of which I'd make myself, to serve as a base camp for hunting and fishing (if there is an adequate stream in the area).

This exact vision has been motivating me for years now to excel in my work, in order to make the money necessary to go through with it. It will certainly take a while and will not be cheap, but it's more affordable than I initially thought when looking in to it and I will be able to save a lot of money by doing work myself since I have experience working on houses. I have done non-commercial logging before as well as some woodworking, so I'd love to be able to harvest my own lumber and create pieces of furniture while managing the land for deer and bird hunting. I've never been the person that had to live in/near a city, but figured I should at least try it for a time while I'm young. The experiences of both going to a small liberal arts college in a rural area and then moving to a large coastal city after has solidified my opinion that I would prefer to live out in the country with few neighbors and lots of space. The only thing I would truly miss would be frequent concerts, but that's a small price to pay for getting everything else that I want in life.

Virtual Cafe Awards

RisingThumb

Imaginary manifestation of fun
Reaction score
Awards
Website
risingthumb.xyz
View attachment 53415

View attachment 53414

I want a newly built 1800 style classical mansion with at least 15 acres and a lake.
Identical, but I want it within the English countryside, with a nice spot for a garage, an expansive library of classical texts, a roaring fireplace, and a wunderbar front porch to smoke a nice pipe of tobacco by in a very Tolkien way.

Virtual Cafe Awards

dorgon

Violently Peaceful
Bronze
Reaction score
Awards
Website
dorgon.neocities.org
I would like a mountainous area with a beautiful view, grass on one side, trees on the other..... The house itself doesn't have to be that big, as long as it's not in a crowded area. Although I wouldn't want to live too far from society also.

Our little off-grid cabin my dad and I built. | Small cabin plans…

maybe something like this

Virtual Cafe Awards
Personally, I want a house that is more utilitarian than aesthetic. It should still be nice and comfy though. With four bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom, water closet with sink, garage, storage space.
and finally a nice fireplace out in the back porch to just sit around and enjoy life.

modular-home-rendering-Garland-Rendering.jpg

modular-home-floor-plan-Garland-Floor-Plan.jpg

So the fireplace would be out the back of the utility room.

Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Personally, I want a house that is more utilitarian than aesthetic. It should still be nice and comfy though. With four bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom, water closet with sink, garage, storage space.
and finally a nice fireplace out in the back porch to just sit around and enjoy life.

modular-home-rendering-Garland-Rendering.jpg

modular-home-floor-plan-Garland-Floor-Plan.jpg

So the fireplace would be out the back of the utility room.
Wow, look at this effort post pulling out a fucking blueprint.
Very solid, I appreciate the focus on function/utility over form/aesthetic.

Your blueprint summoned a memory of a middleschool project in one of my classes where the instructor had us design our own dream homes. And the weirdo I was, I went a quite a bit bit overboard and drew up a blueprint of something I imagine a slacker Frank Loyd Wright student would come up with on a bender. It was not so utilitarian.
I am, however, quite proud of the house's defining (and most outlandish) feature:
There was an indoor swimming pool in the basement and a glass column running up through the center of the entire house, through three floors, all the way to the roof. On any floor or the roof you could enter the glass column and jump off a high dive all the way down into the deepest, center section, of the basement swimming pool. Then you could take the elevator back up to to it again! I even paid special attention that the flooring between the elevator and the glass column would be appropriate for wet feet and there was a changing room nearby on every floor.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards

brentw

Well-Known Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
For most of my adult life I would tell you my "dream home" was actually two homes ... to suit my split tastes.
For the work week: A fancy modern high rise apartment in the city.
For the weekend: A rustic cabin deep in the woods.
But my tastes/needs have changed in the last few years.

First of all, the fancy high-rise apartment in the city is out.
I experienced it for a year, it was nice in some ways but sucked in others. And I have come to hate city people as the unthinking subhuman hivemind insects that they are. I have no desire to interact with them ever again, may the bombs fall and annihilate them all.

Second, I got married at the end of 2021 and now we're expecting a kid so (for a family's sake) I need more of a house than a tiny rustic cabin innawoods.
We bought a decent size house late last summer which is somewhat rural and in the woods, while still being somewhat close to civilization. (closer than I would prefer but the furthest we could manage without being unacceptably far from work and my wife's parents.)

I'm fairly happy although it's not a "dream house". It's what we could afford.
My real dream house, like if I won the lottery or something, would have an indoor swimming pool. It would be completely off grid and self sufficient with an array of solar panels, windmills, and a battery backup. And would be way more remote with way more land than we currently have.

Someday, if I can afford it (big IF), I could potentially manage adding some solar panels, a small windmill, and possibly a hottub to this house.
I guess that will have to do. Overall though I am extremely lucky and grateful that we have the home that we do.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards