The Stop Killing Games Movement

What?
Just which step will take you hours or days? Finding a contact? Writing an e-mail? Transfering the money?
And I'm not asking you to spend those hours or day. If you haven't found the contact info in 15 minutes or - obviously you might as well forget about it, don't be an idiot. Though it never happened in my life: in the year 2024 all the contact infos are just there.
The part that will take hours or days is testing the beta version of the software, or doing other kinds of labor. Its far easier to just spend the money, enjoy the purchase, they spend it on cheaper labor or whatever they see fit. If anything, it maximizes what both sides can do. You are absolved of anything else. They do whatever they want. Maximum utility for both sides.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Ross_Я

Slacker
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Maximum utility for both sides.
>dude, I do not need money, I'd rather have you test a recent build for me
>No, listen here, I will give you money and you'll spend it on cheaper labor or whatever you see fit; it will maximize what you can do!

Sure thing, man. Your comfort is your comfort, but if the dev tells you he'd rather have your run a beta test instead of taking your money, then he has a reason to say so.
Frankly, nothing you say will change the simple fact that every time you bother to reply to me, you could use that time trying to contact your favorite indie devs and offer your help instead. Yet you keep defending your rather empty point.

Last edited:
Virtual Cafe Awards
>dude, I do not need money, I'd rather have test a recent build for me
>No, listen here, I will give you money and you'll spend it on cheaper labor or whatever you see fit; it will maximize what you can do!

Sure thing, man. Your comfort is your comfort, but if the dev tells you he'd rather have your run a beta test instead of taking your money, then he has a reason to say so.
Frankly, nothing you say will change the simple fact that every time you bother to reply to me, you could use that time trying to contact your favorite indie devs and offer your help instead. Yet you keep defending your rather empty point.

Your position only makes sense when currency is semi-worthless or not accepted.
its not an empty point, its the default state for game purchases. Its the default for all purchases.

If a developer doesn't need money, then they can just offer the game for free. Though, the condition of not taking money is generally an exception, since essentially all developers would happily accept money. That they don't want cash is not a license for them to seek labor out of me instead. It just means we can't trade for what they want. If your price is labor, then I don't want your product.

When you go buy vodka do you offer to go test new vodkas in lieu of payment? If you want to buy a car are you going to work at the car-factory until you've paid off the value? Its absurd to think that beta testing could in any way shape or form be better for a developer or any other merchant than simple, fast, and maximum utility cash. Heck, they can even go buy something else and get even more value of out the currency.

Lastly, beta testing free software of mysterious origin is a great way to have an infection on your computer. Yea sure, just run this black-box of software for me <3 <3. Peak foolish.

Virtual Cafe Awards

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org

Antoine

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Ross is cool and I like him. But he's the only guy around who actually wants to play all of these pointless god-awful failed competitive games and MMOs, because he has a very particular kind of naive autism and enjoys video games in a very idiosyncratic way. Everyone rallying behind him is just a hypemongering "GAYmer word" retard who likes to go on moral crusades against more or less good things because they're communist scum. I hate gamers. Fucking degenerate paranoid retards who think that wanting to make money is evil GREED but only in their favourite industry which makes the things they like. The more they like something the more they will police for GREED. Gamers know the true value of everything and the answer is always "less".

Ubisoft killing The Crew is not a loss to anybody on Earth but Ross. Corporations being forced to accommodate the will of men like Ross is kind of keyed, but only in as far as I believe that the whole world should bend before a few overmen. Everyone who thinks they're fighting late capitalism over this should kill themselves.

Virtual Cafe Awards

Doctor Dirck

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Ross is cool and I like him. But he's the only guy around who actually wants to play all of these pointless god-awful failed competitive games and MMOs, because he has a very particular kind of naive autism and enjoys video games in a very idiosyncratic way. Everyone rallying behind him is just a hypemongering "GAYmer word" retard who likes to go on moral crusades against more or less good things because they're communist scum. I hate gamers. Fucking degenerate paranoid retards who think that wanting to make money is evil GREED but only in their favourite industry which makes the things they like. The more they like something the more they will police for GREED. Gamers know the true value of everything and the answer is always "less".

Ubisoft killing The Crew is not a loss to anybody on Earth but Ross. Corporations being forced to accommodate the will of men like Ross is kind of keyed, but only in as far as I believe that the whole world should bend before a few overmen. Everyone who thinks they're fighting late capitalism over this should kill themselves.
e9d.jpg

lets love our neofeudal technocrat overlords!!!!

Virtual Cafe Awards

Rübezahl

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
Buying physical games is already dying out but I think buying online games will also die out
Cloud based gaming still has a long way but the final goal of many corporations is to have Subscription based model where you own nothing at the end
Not having the choice to download a game could also prevent piracy

manpaint

̴̘̈́ ̵̲̾ ̸̯̎ ̴͓̀ ̸̳͝ ̸͈͑ ̴̡̋ ̸̞̂ ̴̰̚ ̵̨̔ ̸̭̎
Gold
Reaction score
Awards
Website
manpaint.neocities.org
Damn, I never expected the subject of "owning games" to be so divisive, let alone create vitriol. Looks like Agora Road is a sinking ship.

I wonder how we got to this point.

turntableToothache

Victim of the Demiurge's nightmare world.
Reaction score
Awards
Buying physical games is already dying out but I think buying online games will also die out
Cloud based gaming still has a long way but the final goal of many corporations is to have Subscription based model where you own nothing at the end
Not having the choice to download a game could also prevent piracy
Cloud based (morel ike CRINGE) gaming will never work because it sucks ass and is only reliable for inner city urbanists with high speed connections and nobody else

Virtual Cafe Awards

LiraTirsoCaduceo

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards

There's a difference between wanting to earn money from your work and greedily focusing over how to maximize profits over everything else.
The later is what harms vidya. Just like films, the producers demand the studio to pander to the lowest common denomitator possible to secure the largest amount of sales possible.
This creates a vicious cycle, where the creation is blander, while the average consumer becomes duller due to basically being fed only baby pudding and not being challenged in any way, which in turn makes the next release even more braindead than the last.
This is the issue between Capitalism and art. It doesn't emphasize making a good product, it doesn't emphasize making good art, it emphasizes maximizing profits, anything that doesn't contribute towards that goal must be cut.

Antoine

Active Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
There's a difference between wanting to earn money from your work and greedily focusing over how to maximize profits over everything else.
Most commonly the division is between people making the thing, the ones who actually do the work, and the shot-callers who make decisions for money's sake, which can compromise the work. Gamers are all retarded dirt-eaters who just selectively shift all of these concepts around whenever they want to accuse someone of being a greasy scummy sloppa who wants to take the meat out of their burger.

The later is what harms vidya. Just like films, the producers demand the studio to pander to the lowest common denomitator possible to secure the largest amount of sales possible.
Western video games are harmed more by a lack of people with vision, and a standing anti-art culture in America that takes it for granted that there shouldn't be any. It's easy to compromise a work which has no backbone. If Konami want to compromise Metal Gear they have to get through Hideo Kojima. If EA want to compromise Dead Space who the fuck is going to stop them? They're all programmers just doing general video game stuff for no real reason. Metal Gear is about things, it has clear personal imprints of its creators. Dead Space is a movie pastiche and video game tropes strung together for 8 hours.

The real battles in which artists and greedy producers fought took place before video games were really big in America. And the artists got completely fucking raped, with a few lucky boomers able to coast on their legacies established in slightly less optimised times. And since America is a communist shithole that hates art the people gave plenty of help in the war against artists with their tastes and idiotic critiques. Auteur culture was basically dead by the time of video games, making a regression to low denominators inevitable. Even the better days of western video games were this, just only nerds were playing video games so the lowest common denominator was relatively high. Still pathetic compared to what a real culture can do.

This creates a vicious cycle, where the creation is blander, while the average consumer becomes duller due to basically being fed only baby pudding and not being challenged in any way, which in turn makes the next release even more braindead than the last.
Most people go back and consume old media now because American culture is so disgustingly bad that even the darkest oaxacan is becoming aware that new tv feels wrong somehow. It's possible to spin people up into looking at higher works quite easily. Look at how much Elden Ring sold because memes and streamers. But what happens is that we get a regression to the lowest common denominator in Elden Ring ripoffs. Because the thing that elevates Elden Ring into a piece of pop-art of genuine human interest is lost on people. And it's not something that one can grasp by playing enough video games so even the proud veteran gamers don't know what the fuck the difference is.

The difference between knowing and not knowing how to read art is one of kind, not degree. It really is like a switch flipping in your brain, at which point you stop being retarded. And the difference between works that are valuable and ones which aren't is nearly the same. Video game productions in nearly every case degenerate because they have no spine. Not because of the monopoly man cutting corners. They are so easily corrupted because they are pointless. Arbitrary. Retarded codeslaves assembling stuff they vaguely think might be cool and is appropriately video-game like.

The trend you identify is roughly true, but not the problem. It's something people only see selectively when they want to complain about something. Basically all western games are retarded, pointless, refined garbage and hardcore game design video essay tips being taken to heart by programmerslaves will not make a difference. That's how we get the bleeding edge of the American "indie" (lol) scene. Still pointless. Still god-awful. Still cynical refined garbage.

This is the issue between Capitalism and art. It doesn't emphasize making a good product, it doesn't emphasize making good art, it emphasizes maximizing profits, anything that doesn't contribute towards that goal must be cut.

Yes, but again. We live in a 2/3 communised society. Tell me which of these video game images comes from a game that was made in a communist country and which one in a capitalist country. Which one is art and which one is merciless refinement for profit?

1714541136756.jpeg
1714541418059.png

If I seem like I'm not really addressing what you say it's because your post bores me and there are things I want to talk about that I'll go into myself if nobody prompts me here.

The interesting side of this discussion is "Greed" in video games. Like virtually things gamers (degenerate retards) think are destroying their precious (shit) medium, it's mostly a myth as I see it. Where is the greed in video games? Your attempts at soaring language and sweeping claims give me the impression you're quite confident it's a real and destructive force, but you never get specific. Tell me, where is greed destroying video games? If your answer is cosmetic DLC don't bother posting again.

Virtual Cafe Awards

LiraTirsoCaduceo

Traveler
Reaction score
Awards
It's easy to compromise a work which has no backbone. If Konami want to compromise Metal Gear they have to get through Hideo Kojima. If EA want to compromise Dead Space who the fuck is going to stop them? They're all programmers just doing general video game stuff for no real reason. Metal Gear is about things, it has clear personal imprints of its creators. Dead Space is a movie pastiche and video game tropes strung together for 8 hours.
Here the focus is the auteur, which in Japan still tends to be a stronger concept of than in the US where what matters more is the franchise or brand identity. The auteur used to be more present in the US, for example in the film industry, before capitalism had perfected and became as efficient as it is today, you had films that were strongly marked by their directors, with a coherent vision and depth. Anyone but Coppola directing Apocalypse Now would have certainly led to a much different film, while you could've put any director at charge of one of the Avengers films and the result would've been the same or almost the same.
Japan is less efficient in playing the capitalism game, so the reach of practices you see in the US aren't as pervasive there.
This is the reason why outside of the indie scene, most of the large releases that are worth playing come from Japan.
The real battles in which artists and greedy producers fought took place before video games were really big in America. And the artists got completely fucking raped, with a few lucky boomers able to coast on their legacies established in slightly less optimised times. And since America is a communist shithole that hates art the people gave plenty of help in the war against artists with their tastes and idiotic critiques. Auteur culture was basically dead by the time of video games, making a regression to low denominators inevitable. Even the better days of western video games were this, just only nerds were playing video games so the lowest common denominator was relatively high. Still pathetic compared to what a real culture can do.
I agree with everything you said here, although the fact that you call capitalism communist is rather funny to me. Don't get me wrong I don't like communism either, but the way some people throw the word communism around to save capitalism's face for no apparent reason always comes across as disconnected from reality.
Actually existing capitalism just got perfected towards maximizing gains and minimizing costs, creating good art is riskier than making FIFA and CoD for the twentieth time. Capitalism encourages this, it's not a coincidence, it's merely the result of the incentives the economic system gives, the river always flows through the path of less resistance. And it will get worse.

Yes, but again. We live in a 2/3 communised society. Tell me which of these video game images comes from a game that was made in a communist country and which one in a capitalist country. Which one is art and which one is merciless refinement for profit?
Both were made in capitalists countries, neither is art.

The interesting side of this discussion is "Greed" in video games. Like virtually things gamers (degenerate retards) think are destroying their precious (shit) medium, it's mostly a myth as I see it. Where is the greed in video games? Your attempts at soaring language and sweeping claims give me the impression you're quite confident it's a real and destructive force, but you never get specific. Tell me, where is greed destroying video games? If your answer is cosmetic DLC don't bother posting again.
Destroying is a strong word, I said it was harmful. Games won't be destroyed, they will just be turned into even sloppier slops than they already are, but the videogame industry will still be there, if anything in terms of money making it might even grow, the games will just be shittier.
You already discussed where I thought greed is harmful to art, things like worthless DLC people still pay for are just the result of what was discussed before, not the cause. The difference is you somehow seem to think this is the result of communism rather than capitalism lol
Anyway look at any list of the top selling games of past year or a list of the top earner companies, these lists wouldn't be important if not for one simple thing, the fact that in capitalism what ultimately determines your power, and your value, is the amount of money you have. These are the companies most likely to corner the market, to buy out smaller studios, to desertify what few oasis are out there.

tcp

Silver
Reaction score
Awards
Planned obsolescence in any form whether it's for digital or physical goods should be banned just like how monopolies were through the Sherman Act of 1890.

I'm really glad people like Louis Rossmann have brought the issue of consumer rights and the right to repair into the public consciousness because corporations are getting aggressive when it comes to anti-consumer practices. Corporations have nothing but an adversarial relationship with the consumer now and the New Normal :tm: is to treat you like you are their bitch.

The reason corporations like Apple, Google, Ubisoft and other big tech companies can get away with what they do is because of lack of competition. The free market has all but been eroded. Corporations work hand-in-hand with government to ensure a monopoly status and strangle any form of competition through regulation and anti-business practices.

What people need to do is simply stop buying and using services from companies that endorse practices like planned obscelence. The lack of initiative from people is very concerning. These companies hate you and would kill you if it made them money.

This is very cool. Definitely an interesting approach for a marketing campaign.

MindControlBoxer

Cyberbully
Reaction score
Awards
If I seem like I'm not really addressing what you say it's because your post bores me and there are things I want to talk about that I'll go into myself if nobody prompts me here.
CwChan.jpg

I can only hear this voice when reading this

Virtual Cafe Awards